wieghty subject

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rifleman1776

My Grizzly 14"X40" G10672 lathe has a sheet metal base. Unlike the high priced lathes on the market that have heavy cast iron. With large items it has wobbled quite badly. Last week I added two bags of sand for added weight. These came from Meeks lumber yard at about $5.50 each. They each weigh 60 lbs. Expensive for sand but worth it in handiness, already in sturdy bags. These are Quickcrete Tubesand. Using the lathe for the first time since adding these, I am amazed at the difference. The lathe runs quieter and definately much smoother. It now acts like the high priced versions. I may add a couple more later. Well worth the small investment. The item on the lathe is a rough hunk of Osage Orange I am trying to turn into a natural-looking dried flower vase. Before the weight it might have been a near impossible task. Now, it works and I am having fun. And, yes, my shoulder is getting better. Surgery is still in the offing, though.

200592416612_tube%20sand.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Good Idea

BUT!!!

Wrap those bags inside another bag or better yet, place them inside a box. I had a friend who didn't do this and what a mess he had when the bags broke open.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I have read that tip on other forums, but rather than go through boxes and other bags, why not get a couple of cinder blocks and fill them with dry concrete, hose them down and after they cure, stack them nice and neat?

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />I have read that tip on other forums, but rather than go through boxes and other bags, why not get a couple of cinder blocks and fill them with dry concrete, hose them down and after they cure, stack them nice and neat?

Neat? Me? [:I]
Actually, that is one idea that works too. I have several laying around at the farm. But, with my shoulder wanting to wimp out on anything approaching work, I decided I would rather drop a sandbag on my toes than a concrete block. [:0]

Dario

Solid block won't dampen the vibration as well. They will rattle and may shift and yes may eventually drop on you.

If your lathe is located and you don't have any plans on moving it....try bolting them on the concrete floor. Works realy well for me [;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom