Where to get tapered spindle with 2MT for buffing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fish30114

I have been looking for a solution to mount a tapered spindle for buffing, where one can simply 'spin mount' 8" buffing wheels onto the lathe for buffing-I like an 8" wheel for general buffing including bowls etc. and just haven't been able to find a system that comes with the tapered spindle type mount in a 2MT to fit my lathe. I can find the pieces that will allow you to bolt a buffing wheel on, but I want a tapered spindle where I can just spin on and off the buffing wheel I desire quickly.

Any advice input is appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

PSI markets a whole, 3 wheel, buffing system which has a 2MT end. . They have several systems. . Here is a link to one :

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/LBUFFSYS.html

Maybe you can buy just the parts you want from them.

I believe that the Beall Tool Co. also markets such a system.

Check also with Rick Herrell (see our Vendors section of the forum). I believe he may have a similar product and if not he could probably make what you want.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f349/custom-made-penturning-tools-accessories-92501/

If you want a do-it-yourself solution then you can buy a 2MT arbor from a machine tool store ... get the 2MT arbor with a soft steel stub on it which you can drill and tap and put fittings on it to accept your buffing wheels.

There is a picture of what I mean here (but you would have your favorite machine tool store) :

https://www.busybeetools.com/products/stub-arbor-mt-2-x-1in.html

Last edited:

dogcatcher

I think you will have make your own adapters, also, I have never seen 8" buffing wheels that can be used with the tapered spindles. When I was looking I found a limited number of 6" wheels and don't remember any 8" wheels. I gave up and used bolts with the head cut off and my wheels on them in my collet chuck.

Fish30114

guys, thanks for the feedback, I have seen plenty of 8" wheels that will go on the tapered spindles, lot's of buffers have the tapered spindles on them and there are plenty of wheels that are made for the tapered spindles--I think Magpens may be onto something--I've found tapered spindles that will mount to 1/2" & 5/8" shafts, I just need to find the 1/2" 2MT spindle, I've found some 5/8" so that may be the way I need to go.

Thanks for the input!

duncsuss

Rio Grande also have this one, designed to fit onto a Baldor polishing motor. Again, you'd have to work out how to mount it on your lathe -- but it's rated up to 8" wheels.

LINK

duncsuss

Caswell Plating have this tapered spindle, which is bored to fit onto a 1/2" shaft with a locking screw. If you can find a MT2 center with a 1/2" stud, you will have a solution.

LINK

JimB

Not an MT2 but you can get an extender that screws onto the headstock and then your buffing wheel screws onto that. Same idea as what you are talking about except it threads onto the headstock. I know CSUSA and Woodcraft both sell them to use with the Beall buffing wheel.

I went the cheap route and just made my own from scrap wood. I turned the wood then tapped it to screw onto my Spindle. Tap the other end so the buffing wheel will screw on or drill it and insert a T-nut.

magpens

"1 sold in last hour" .... was that you, Don ??? :biggrin:

I wonder why the description says "for wood lathes only" .... seems to me it should work on a metal-working lathe just the same.

Man that's exactly what I've been looking for eharri--thanks a lot--I've even done some pretty thorough digging around on E-bay, but hadn't found this before. I just ordered 2 to have a second one JIC

Last edited:

Fish30114

Yeah Mag, i suppose that was me, but I bought 2 not just one....go figure--I agree with you, if you had a 2 morse taper in the headstock or tailstock of a metal lathe, they should work just fine in that application as well IMO

monophoto

My approach to this was to purchase a set of three 8" wheels at Harbor Freight - a stitched wheel (for Tripoli), a muslin wheel for white diamond, and a flannel wheel for carnauba wax.

Then, I fabricated attachments using scraps of wood. Each attachment consisted of a block of wood that I drilled and tapped to match the spindle on my lathe, together with a 1/2" bolt and nut to hold the wheel. After drilling and tapping the holes, I saturate the threads with thin CA, allow it to cure, run the tap in again to clean up the threads, and then apply a coat of paste wax. The Harbor Freight wheels come with washers to hold the wheels onto 1/2" shafts.

Top Bottom