When to find delrin local?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I really don't understand the need for special delrin (or any other material) bushings to use for applying CA as a pen finish. They weren't available for the first 15 years I used CA for a pen finish and my finishing did not suffer. Once they were introduced they seem to be all the rage. I tried them on one pen then never used them again. My bushings do not get glued to the mandrel or the pen blank. They may get a little CA on them but it comes right off. I do not wax my busings or use any thing special or extra. I really do not understand the need. Just saying. Sorry, I can't help you find delrin locally.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Need to find some delrin to make cones when doing CA finish.
Can't find the ones I used to have and have to do 6 pens this weekend.

Last edited:

hanau

I prefer to use delrin instead of my bushing that's all.

I am pretty sloppy when i do my ca finish. it's easier for me to cut a score line between the cone a little farther up and sand it flush to the blank. Then trying to score a line around the bushing and blank. I have ruined a few blanks when the knife slipped and went into the blank.

But I did finally find my set.

TonyL

I bought a 2 foot left of HDPE from Amazon for under $12. but I don't have any answer for delrin. sorry. maybe u can find hdpe locally.

Skie_M

Check local remodeling outfitters .... a lot of people are moving towards using all-vinyl exteriors on their houses, and some of the parts used for window ledges are solid 2 inch by 2 inch vinyl boards .... they get them in lengths 20 feet long, which is WAY too much for my needs ....

A foot, or even 6 inches, is more than enough for any wood turner to make vinyl bushings from it. And vinyl is also pretty much a non-stick surface where CA is concerned. :)

Fish30114

My go to source for these and many other types of materials is Mcmaster Carr, a great industrial supply co. with a HUGE inventory, the sell a lot of delrin and delrin'ish products in bars, sheets, and rods. I like these bushings also for CA finishing--a lot of stuff has been around and worked OK for many years, but time and techniques march on, and I think this is a good step on the chain of progress.

Top Bottom