What is in your DC?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

What is in your dust collector?....maybe you should better look!

I use my dust collector almost 100% of the time my lathe is running. As does my overhead dust filter....and use a dust mask as well.
Last week, I took the hose off my dust collector and got a surprise! It turns out that when turning wet wood as in bowls, some of the nice curly wet ribbons that become piled on the lathe/stand get sucked up the hose. I normally sweep up these and not fill the dust collector with big shavings.
Well, as you can see in the pic that the long wet curls (maple in this case) had hung themselves on the edges of the impeller!..remember the spinning carnival rides?.....these shavings were hung out to dry..literally.
They are dry and hung on the impeller cutting down on my suction. After cleaning them off, the DC has a much better airflow and draw!
So, be mindful of these little spaghetti like shavings. Even though they might be cute flying off the gouge across the shop, they are up to no good when they gang together and plot to foul up things:eek:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 299
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

My DC has a cross bar before the impeller to stop large pieces from hitting the impeller. Whenever I turn bowls the ribbons always get caught at the cross bar with some getting to the impeller. I know when I am losing suction to pull the hose and pull out a handful of ribbons.

THere are systems you go buy that you attach before the DC that will collect all these shavings and save you the trouble.

Crashmph

I have a cyclone separator in front of my impeller, and I have never had this problem with it. I can see how that would kill your suction and prematurely wear out your motor too.

CabinetMaker

What is in your dust collector?....maybe you should better look!

I use my dust collector almost 100% of the time my lathe is running. As does my overhead dust filter....and use a dust mask as well.
Last week, I took the hose off my dust collector and got a surprise! It turns out that when turning wet wood as in bowls, some of the nice curly wet ribbons that become piled on the lathe/stand get sucked up the hose. I normally sweep up these and not fill the dust collector with big shavings.
Well, as you can see in the pic that the long wet curls (maple in this case) had hung themselves on the edges of the impeller!..remember the spinning carnival rides?.....these shavings were hung out to dry..literally.
They are dry and hung on the impeller cutting down on my suction. After cleaning them off, the DC has a much better airflow and draw!
So, be mindful of these little spaghetti like shavings. Even though they might be cute flying off the gouge across the shop, they are up to no good when they gang together and plot to foul up things:eek:
Where did you get that clamp in the picture. I could use a few of those.

jsolie

Long ago I picked up one of those plastic cyclonic covers for a 30 gallon trash can and haven't looked back since. It catches so much stuff, I don't even remember the last time I dumped one of the collection bags.

randyrls

Yep; Most DC have a screen, crossbar, or grill work to keep anything sucked up accidently out of the impeller. When I am doing stringy acrylics, I have to clean the crossbars after every pen.

Top Bottom