What would be the best............

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Janster

tools for cutting small pieces of wood/acrylic etc. to use in segmenting projects. I do own band, table and chop saws. Also, are there specialty saws blades involved? PS. 10" chop and table saws TIA...........Jan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
My vote for cutting is a band saw. I don't do many segmented pens but I have done a few. Having my hand and fingers that close to a table or chop saw is just asking for trouble in my opinion. Maybe I am just squeamish but I like the ends of my finger right where they are and I don't mean in my nose either. The band saw is my main cutting tool for wood. I have a table saw but I rip on my band saw instead of getting it out. Just my thoughts.

walshjp17

Based on another recommendation here (don't recall the thread at the moment) I just purchased a HF 6" mini cut-off saw. Need to buy the recommended blade and make the needed mod, but am looking forward to moving away from both the BS and TS to cut pen blanks to size and have a way to cut down larger lengths of tubes as well.

jttheclockman

Whatever tool you use please read and understand all instructions. Just about any tool will get the job done if properly used. Remeber any tool with spinning blades can hurt badly.

I am trying to convey the importance to know the tool you are using. Make jigs that can safely cut, trim, drill or whatever needs to be done. Use safety equipment such as toggle clamps. Go to Harbor Freight. They are a $1 apiece. Use push sticks use feather boards, use clamps but most important USE YOUR HEAD!!!!!!!

We tend to think because we use such small pieces of timber than the size of the tool has to match. That is not true. People use huge lathes to turn pens with ease. They use 2" skews to turn pens. It is not the tool but the person using the tool.

I prefer to use many tools because each has specific strengths so no one tool is the only tool. I tend to use the tablesaw because it is the tool I can see where the blade is cutting. I know the travel of the blade and it is the tool I am most comfortable with. I have segmented with a bandsaw and even segmented with my router on a lathe.

So people please take heed and enjoy this great artform of segmenting safely and use your head and remember the golden rule if it does not feel right it probably is not so rethink and never be in a hurry.

I know the question was which tool is best but there is no best. A hand mitersaw can do some awesome segmented work so include that one in the list too. To the OP you have all the tools you would need in yopur arsenal right now. Just learn how to use them in these specific situations. Ask about jigs or do a search. There are many topics on this. Just pointing this out to you.

OK I am off my soapbox.

Last edited:

Janster

Thanks.........

........for your comments. Decisions ,decisions............Be well.................Jan

sbwertz

If you are cutting thin strips on the bandsaw, be sure to adjust your fence to the drift in the blade. Good tutorial here

Correcting Band Saw Drift - NewWoodworker.com LLC

Sharon

My vote for cutting is a band saw. I don't do many segmented pens but I have done a few. Having my hand and fingers that close to a table or chop saw is just asking for trouble in my opinion. Maybe I am just squeamish but I like the ends of my finger right where they are and I don't mean in my nose either. The band saw is my main cutting tool for wood. I have a table saw but I rip on my band saw instead of getting it out. Just my thoughts.

Hexhead

I use a table saw and a homemade sliding sled. The only thing I do differently is, I put a regular circular saw blade on, it this has a smaller nerve (saw width) then I cut a bunch of blanks.

George417

Whatever tool you use please read and understand all instructions. Just about any tool will get the job done if properly used. Remeber any tool with spinning blades can hurt badly.

I am trying to convey the importance to know the tool you are using. Make jigs that can safely cut, trim, drill or whatever needs to be done. Use safety equipment such as toggle clamps. Go to Harbor Freight. They are a $1 apiece. Use push sticks use feather boards, use clamps but most important USE YOUR HEAD!!!!!!!

We tend to think because we use such small pieces of timber than the size of the tool has to match. That is not true. People use huge lathes to turn pens with ease. They use 2" skews to turn pens. It is not the tool but the person using the tool.

I prefer to use many tools because each has specific strengths so no one tool is the only tool. I tend to use the tablesaw because it is the tool I can see where the blade is cutting. I know the travel of the blade and it is the tool I am most comfortable with. I have segmented with a bandsaw and even segmented with my router on a lathe.

So people please take heed and enjoy this great artform of segmenting safely and use your head and remember the golden rule if it does not feel right it probably is not so rethink and never be in a hurry.

I know the question was which tool is best but there is no best. A hand mitersaw can do some awesome segmented work so include that one in the list too. To the OP you have all the tools you would need in yopur arsenal right now. Just learn how to use them in these specific situations. Ask about jigs or do a search. There are many topics on this. Just pointing this out to you.

OK I am off my soapbox.

Your soap box is plenty nice. Keep on it and keep preaching.

:):):):):)

Top Bottom