What type of bandsaw blade?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jxdubbs

Hey guys and gals,

I own a 14" GRIZZLY G055LX it's a 93.5" inch I believe. I do alot of pen blanks usually 3/8", 5/8" to 1"' 1.5". Some bowls not so much yet. The pen and i guess yu call the bigger size "call banks" mostly made out of different type of acrylics, Plastics, resins, and a lots of hard dense exotic Woods. ( mostly acrylic) What blade or blades I'll need for those types of materials? It would be a huge help to me.*

THANKS!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wildman

Think you can get by with 3/8 or ½ inch carbon steel blades or less and thickness .025 or less make economical sense for what you want to cut. Blades come in regular, hook, skip, variable, teeth and couple different combinations. Lot depends upon which blade vendor sell.

I like 3 or 4 tpi hook blades for my saw, but just my personal preference. This is my current vedor.

Woodcraftbands.com

If feel need better all around blade might look at this blade. If were buying something other than carbon steel blades might look at this on for lot more money. Opinions on various message boards claim more longivity than Timber Wolf blades.

I will not use carbide or bi-metal blades on a 14" saw not only my personal preference but little more technical issues with those type blades.

hhttps://www.highlandwoodworking.com/wood-slicer-resaw-bandsaw-blades.aspx

tonylumps

Think you can get by with 3/8 or ½ inch carbon steel blades or less and thickness .025 or less make economical sense for what you want to cut. Blades come in regular, hook, skip, variable, teeth and couple different combinations. Lot depends upon which blade vendor sell.

I like 3 or 4 tpi hook blades for my saw, but just my personal preference. This is my current vedor.

Woodcraftbands.com

If feel need better all around blade might look at this blade. If were buying something other than carbon steel blades might look at this on for lot more money. Opinions on various message boards claim more longivity than Timber Wolf blades.

I will not use carbide or bi-metal blades on a 14" saw not only my personal preference but little more technical issues with those type blades.

hhttps://www.highlandwoodworking.com/wood-slicer-resaw-bandsaw-blades.aspx

Can I ask what tech. issues you have had with Bimetal blades i have been using one for over a year now with no issues.Cuts cleaner and last a lot longer than other types of blades i have used

bmachin

I generally end up making this same post a couple of times a year whenever bandsaw questions come up. Give Iturra Designs a call at (904) 642-2802 and ask for their catalog. It contains a wealth of information and opinion (some of it quite strong) on saws, blades, and accessories. About the only thing that they don't sell is saws.

They don't have a web presence, so you'll have to call, and I'm pretty sure that they charge for the catalog, but you'll find more technical and practical bandsaw information there than in any other one single place.

Hope this is useful

Bill

jxdubbs

I talked to the timber wolf lady. For acrylics and pen blanks.
Bimetal 93.5"x1/2" 10/14---(acrylics pen blanks)

For bowl blanks she suggested
AS 93.5"x1/2"x3 TPi wood

Also I talked to Olsen
93.5"x1/2" 3TPI Gook tooth
SKU # FB2393DB for both acrylics in cutting bowl blanks

Also I talked to woodcraft they said this would work for both.

Duratec SFB Bandsaw Blade 93-1/2" x 1/2" x 4tpi Skip

Still kinda confussed. Any of these look correct? Or should I do some more research?

jttheclockman

I talked to the timber wolf lady. For acrylics and pen blanks.
Bimetal 93.5"x1/2" 10/14---(acrylics pen blanks)

For bowl blanks she suggested
AS 93.5"x1/2"x3 TPi wood

Also I talked to Olsen
93.5"x1/2" 3TPI Gook tooth
SKU # FB2393DB for both acrylics in cutting bowl blanks

Also I talked to woodcraft they said this would work for both.

Duratec SFB Bandsaw Blade 93-1/2" x 1/2" x 4tpi Skip

Still kinda confussed. Any of these look correct? Or should I do some more research?

You made 2 posts on this question and I answered you in the other one. I can tell you this any place you ask they will give you their general answers to their blades. That is what they sell their blades. You are asking for 2 different type blades that is all. You do not want a hook tooth blade for cutting acrylics and that few of teeth it will grab on you. They are used for cutting wet woods and larger thicker blanks such as for bowl blanks. Yes less teeth and skip tooth is good here. Here is my post to your question from your other posting. As mentioned Suffolk machinery is a very good source to buy from. Take it for what it is worth. You may want to do a google search for bandsaw blades and learn more what each blade is designed for. Lots of info out there. If you get a general purpose blade as I mentioned you can get by with not changing for every little thing you do. Unless you are cutting large blocks of wood for bowls and many of them then yes need to change or you will dull the general blade quickly. As soon as you mention cutting bowl blanks they will step you right up to a 3-4 tooth blade, 1/2" in size and skip tooth. Not the blade for pen blanks.

When you ask a question like this you can get various answers and the main reason is we do not know your entire intentions you have with these blades. So the best we can do and what they will tell you at Suffolkmachinery is give recommendations for a general use blade. So in that case my suggestion is a Skip tooth, 6-8 tooth per inch, 0 rake blade. It will cut all materials and the size you are asking with a nice fine smooth cut. I suggest a 3/8" to 1/2" blade. I suggest a bi-metal blade. I also suggest when you get the blade and mount it, take some 100 grit sandpaper and as you rotate the blade by hand touch the back of the blade, (not the teeth) so that you knock off any burrs from manufacturing. My opinion only.

Last edited:

jxdubbs

I make 95% of the time are acrylic pens and vape tank drip tips. Mostly crosscuts for the length I need.
The other 5% would be wooden or stabilized bowls and round atomizer stands.

Wildman

Tonylumps, I have used nothing but Lenox flex & hard back steel blades due to both cost & longivity.

Carbide and Bi metal blades have different tension requirement than carbon steel blades. I know Bi-metal blades require more tension than carbon steel bades. Most hobbist including myself have no idea what the proper tension of our blades recommend by manufacturers regardless of brand or type steel blade. Like everyone else have gone by instructions in my owners manual. May want to find out what manufacture says proper blade tension is for your bi-metal blades.

What does higher blade tension do to band saw made of cast iron or steel over time? Also premature wear to band saw tires.

Would recommend reading "The Ban Saw Handbook," by mark Duginske!
Lonnie Bird's The band saw book also another great reference but don't have a copy. Think both books have been updated. Another reference have not read is, "Complete Illustrated guide to Bandsaws," by Ronald Johnson.

First learned about tension gauges from 2005 Iturra Design free catalog many years ago. His tension gauge one of the least expensive. Can no longer find a copy of that catalog on line anymore, like already mention can call their home number because no longer toll free and ask for a copy but be prepared to wait.

Since use owner manual to tension my blades might worth looking at commercial or homemade tension gauge after learn what proper tension is for your blades. Know Lenox has a help line and blade recommendation guide at their web site.

Bandsaw-Blade Tension Gauge - FineWoodworking

Digital Bandsaw Blade Tension Gauge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iAkRLvLAvI

Top Bottom