What tool to make inlay blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stormy13

I am very interested in making my own inlay blanks (not engraved blanks), but rather the type where you cut out pieces, and glue in different pieces, similar to those sold by WoodnWhimsies or LazerLines.

I have been doing some research, but I am having a difficult time figuring out what type of equipment / software is used to do this? Seems some use laser cutters, but can find no clear indications.

I am not looking to go into business, but I want flexibility to make my pens even more custom.

Anyone have experience with this that could recommend the type of equipment / software I should be looking at?

Appreciate any suggestions,
Russ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogcatcher

Instead of inlaying, I believe you are wanting info about segmenting. It is the insane process of cutting up a gadzillion pieces of wood and then gluing them up into a decorative blank.

Myself I prefer using a small table saw with a sled and a clamps to hold the small pieces. Some use a bandsaw and with a sled. I have tried, but my table saw works best for me.

For larger items like bowls I have seen some software, but have no experience with any of it. I would suggest watching some YouTube videos about the Seg-Easy. Wedgies

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Instead of inlaying, I believe you are wanting info about segmenting. It is the insane process of cutting up a gadzillion pieces of wood and then gluing them up into a decorative blank.

Myself I prefer using a small table saw with a sled and a clamps to hold the small pieces. Some use a bandsaw and with a sled. I have tried, but my table saw works best for me.

For larger items like bowls I have seen some software, but have no experience with any of it. I would suggest watching some YouTube videos about the Seg-Easy. Wedgies

I wish I could disagree, but alas, I will continue down the path of the dark arts...

To the OP, I will try to post a few pickies shortly.

chartle

I think you want to do this.

Medicine Logo Laser Cut Inlay Pen Kit Blank - Rockler Woodworking Tools

You need a cutting laser with a rotary attachment.

Something like this. Full Spectrum H-Series 20'' x 12'' Desktop CO2 Laser Engraver/Cutter Package | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

with this Rotary and Riser for Full Spectrum 6th Generation H-Series Laser Engraver/Cutter | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

As for the software its probably something that works in vectors like Adobe Illustrator.

I also think you need something like a metal lathe to do the blanks and a way to dye them.

Besides that you are on your own.

magpens

Russ,

There are 3 commercial sources of inlay blanks of the type I think you are referring to.

Those companies are Kallenshaan, WoodnWhimsies, and Lazerlinez.

All 3 of those use lasers to cut the wood. . This is an extremely specialized activity, which, of course, anybody can learn to do given enough dollars, and patience, together with computer and practical skills.

I wish you luck in your search for information. . Please let us know what you find out.

Edit: . I see that Cliff (Post #4 above, written at about the same time as I was writing) has supplied some specific information about one source of the carbon dioxide laser required.
The laser cut blank that he referenced looks very much like one that Lazerlinez makes and sells.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
If you are just getting in segmenting, consider these designs (My pens, but some of my designs, some others. Some are nice, some need refinement). Ask any questions or PM me. Have FUN!

It's a big black hole, wanna jump ??? Some like segmenting, some like a nice grained simple blank...I like BOTH!

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

dogcatcher

Before you make the jump, I suggest you do a lot of research and reading. It will get you to the point you will know what works, the "how and why" it works and help you to come up with designs. As you read, KEEP NOTES, make sure your notes go back to the link you found the information. If not, 3 days later you will try something and the result won't be the same and you won't know why and waste hours looking for that info twice.

All the info is out there, any question has been asked a dozen times, and in some cases answered 24 different ways. On some segmented looks there are several ways to do the same thing, the more time you spend studying, the easier it will be.

Stormy13

Thank you all very much for the quick responses.

Cliff and Mal were definitely on the topic I am focused on, the laser cutting of inlays. Really appreciate the information and the links as well.

Top Bottom