What a sucker

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

Got my new super dust deputy hooked up today. I can't believe how much more suction I have and way more CFM. I had a Thein style before this one and I thought that really increased suction, but this thing is awesome.
Lin

Attachments

• IMG_0567.JPG
    IMG_0567.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 309
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wyone

I want to do something like that as well, but I thought eliminating as many bends as possible was critical to air flow. It looks like there is an extra 270 degrees of bend right at the dust deputy. And part of that is flex which is even more restriction on the air flow. I am wondering if you eliminate those restrictions if you will get even better flow. Don't take this as critical.. I am trying to find out for myself more than anything. :)

Skie_M

I think that's supposed to work as a trap, to ensure that extremely large particles don't go slamming into the wall of the cyclone trap, though it should be fairly sturdy enough to handle anything that could get sucked up into the hose. Inserting a baffle inside the cyclone to protect the opposite wall serves the same purpose, with lower airflow restriction.

TonyL

Hi Lin:

Thank you for your post. I delighted to learn that you are enjoy more suction and less dust. I, too, thought, that any "interruptions" and bends in the line would restrict flow. I am not challenging your experience, I just want to see what others have to say before I buy two.

Thanks again!

lorbay

I want to do something like that as well, but I thought eliminating as many bends as possible was critical to air flow. It looks like there is an extra 270 degrees of bend right at the dust deputy. And part of that is flex which is even more restriction on the air flow. I am wondering if you eliminate those restrictions if you will get even better flow. Don't take this as critical.. I am trying to find out for myself more than anything. :)

Hi Lin:

Thank you for your post. I delighted to learn that you are enjoy more suction and less dust. I, too, thought, that any "interruptions" and bends in the line would restrict flow. I am not challenging your experience, I just want to see what others have to say before I buy two.

Thanks again!
Yes you are both right, I can eliminate a few of these. I just wanted to get it hooked up and try it. As this is a lot different configuration than the Thein I will have to cut some pipe to make it work. That's the next steps. This model is sl steel construction so it can handle just about anything you can throw at it.
One problem I had was it has a 5" in and a 6" out. The Thein was 6" in and out.
But at this point I am very impressed.
Lin

cleve

I would like to weigh in here. Some years ago I bought the smaller Dust Deputy made by Oneida which I used when I was sanding drywall dust. I must say it is incredible, I did research on different cyclones . The Oneida was rated as the best one, I used it to suck up the drywall dust which I do not believe there is no finer dust than drywall dust. I have the same Super Oneida Cyclone as Lin, it is made from metal and my smaller one is made from plastic. If your sucking up pieces of wood it will not hurt the large metal cyclone. The small one I haven't tried to pick up very big piece I now use it in my basement with my small Nova midi lathe. My pail will be full but my vacuum canister will barely have even a film of dust in it. I would recommend the $350 bucks (in Canada) for that big one it is worth every penny, or $140 (Canada) for the small one. They make a large plastic one too but I don't know how it would handle large pieces wood.

Curly

Lin my suggestion to you would be to take the filter/bag part off the DC. Flip the DC over to the bottom plate with the castors is now up, and attach it to the ceiling or into a frame. Then reattach the filter/bag part back to the DC. That would put the intake port at or close to the top of the cyclone's outlet port. Better airflow between the two units.

Rick_G

I have both the large metal one shown here and the smaller plastic one. I never noticed any change in suction when they were installed but that may be because I was not replacing a different type of separator. Where I did notice a large change in suction was when I replaced the original filter bag that came with the dust collector with a canister. The canister gave me much more airflow because of the increased filter area and better filtering. Biggest change is I haven't had to empty the collector bag on the dust collector in 3 years while I have emptied the 45 gal. drum under the cyclone 4 times. The smaller unit I have connected to my shop vac. and I replaced the filter in the shop vac. with a HEPA filter that is washable one from Lee Valley. I clean the filter in the shop vac. about once a year and there is usually a very small amount of fine dust in the bottom of the shop vac. generally not enough to cover the whole bottom while I have emptied the plastic collector bucket under the cyclone a few times. The shop vac is mainly used to suck up the sanding dust at the source when sanding on the lathe so when it gets full about 80% is sanding dust that didn't get to the shop vac. I would highly recommend them to anyone as an add on to their dust collection.

lorbay

Lin my suggestion to you would be to take the filter/bag part off the DC. Flip the DC over to the bottom plate with the castors is now up, and attach it to the ceiling or into a frame. Then reattach the filter/bag part back to the DC. That would put the intake port at or close to the top of the cyclone's outlet port. Better airflow between the two units.
Well Pete I took your advise and got rid of a few bends. Looks cleaner too. What do ya think.??
Lin

Attachments

• IMG_0571.JPG
    IMG_0571.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 167

Curly

Exactly what I had in mind. Now all I need to do is convince you to ditch that filter for a domestically made industrial filter like the ones made by Wynn. :)

There is a filter cleaning company in Chilliwack that I took a couple dozen filters that work was going to toss because they were packed with dust. The owner thought I was bringing in ones like you have but when he saw they were North American made he said he could clean them. He said the Chinese ones for the hobby DCs were poorly made and disintegrated in his equipment. Domestically made ones can be cleaned 3 or 4 times or more and you can be assured they meet the claimed filtration specs. My stash of cleaned filters will be for a Clearvue cyclone when we finally get into the new house and shop.

wyone

Well Pete I took your advise and got rid of a few bends. Looks cleaner too. What do ya think.??
Lin

I think that looks awesome!

Top Bottom