What are some good air-powered tools to get?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GouletPens

After a nifty CL purchase I find myself with a 3HP 60-Gal Ingersoll Rand air compressor that puts out 11.3 CFM at 90 PSI. Quite a step up from my little Porter-Cable pancake. I glanced at some air tools at the Box store and noticed I am no longer limited whatsoever by air capacity. So being new to the "Buncha-CFM Club", I'm asking for some advice about the air-powered tools you guys (and gals) find most useful. I'm talking about for everything, not pens!:tongue: I'm open to all kinds of suggestions. I'm not necessarily looking to buy a bunch of stuff but I'd love to know what most of the neat-o air tools are used for. Thanks gang!:embarrassed:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

THarvey

Nailers of various sizes are the obvious choice.

3/8" ratchet is handy.

The tool I grab the most, is my random orbit sander. I have an electric one that has not been out if it's case, since I purchased the air driven sander.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
On of my favorite tools is an Ingersoll impact wrench with a set of hardened deep sockets. I also have an assortment of Senco and Porter Cable nailers, an Airy stapler, and an abrasive cutoff tool.

KenV

The good news -- air is handy, lighter, and easy to use.

Bad News -- air compressor processes eat watts faster than the use of electric tools. Air needs filtration near wood - oils used for lubrication do not do good things with wood.

Grex makes great air sanders -- Next up on my air tool list after the cheap angle sander dies - (and when you want them to die they keep running - law of contrary machines) is to get the grex angle sander for lathe work.

Air compressor and gas wrench (oxy act torch) are a must have!!!

JimMc7

HVLP conversion gun for spray finishing

Nice score!

Assuming you don't have a spray finishing system now...

If you do other woodworking and would like to try spray finishing then you might consider an HVLP conversion gun. Most require a fair amount of air and comments I've seen from those who have tried both turbine & conversion guns prefer the conversion guns. Only downside seems to be you lose the portability of the turbine system.

cnirenberg

Brian,
Don't take this in any other way than what is was meant....YOU ARE MY HERO. Seriously. (Of course I mistyped and it came out "YOU ATE MY HERO"). I can never find anything worthwhile on Cl, ebay, etc. Great score on the large Air compressor.

tim self

The good news -- air is handy, lighter, and easy to use.

Bad News -- air compressor processes eat watts faster than the use of electric tools. Air needs filtration near wood - oils used for lubrication do not do good things with wood

Being a mechanic I say good find. As a woodworker, I say ??? I agree with Ken, Not cost effective in comparison and messy. Hard to control dust as you will have air exhaust pulling dust away from any collection. Of course am mentioned nailers and HVLP finishing it is great. I've had a 5hp 20 gallon for 15 years and have never needed an upgrade. Just my .02

Last edited:

GouletPens

Being a mechanic I say good find. As a woodworker, I say ??? I agree with Ken, Not cost effective in comparison and messy. Hard to control dust as you will have air exhaust pulling dust away from any collection. Of course am mentioned nailers and HVLP finishing it is great. I've had a 5hp 20 gallon for 15 years and have never needed an upgrade. Just my .02
Oh, I admit for woodworking it's total overkill. I've been using my little pancake with satisfactory results all the way for years now. i just came across this deal and thought it would be handy for reasons other than making pens. I really don't do much wood working other than pens, but I do some maintenance on the car and plenty of work around the house. The main motivation behind the larger unit was for spray finishing like has been stated, for car tires, and to have a quieter setup than the pancake for using the air to turn pens. The pancake I have is in a little box I built and that makes it quieter but it's still obnoxious. Would I have bought this beast brand new? No. But since I got it practically new for the price of a much smaller system and I have plenty of room in my electrical panel :biggrin: I went for it.

GouletPens

Brian,
Don't take this in any other way than what is was meant....YOU ARE MY HERO. Seriously. (Of course I mistyped and it came out "YOU ATE MY HERO"). I can never find anything worthwhile on Cl, ebay, etc. Great score on the large Air compressor.
It definitely depends on where you are and how often you check CL. I check it every other day or so, and in the last year I've sold at least 8 tools at good prices and bought my tablesaw, 2 DC systems, this compressor, a Laguna bandsaw, and several pieces of furniture all at pretty good prices. Keep an eye out, do your research, and you can find deals too!

GouletPens

Oh yeah, forgot to add another motivation for a larger compressor....I like to mess around with WW casting and I have to draw a vacuum in several intervals with my pancake now b/c it doesn't have enough air in the tank to get it up to 28" unless I crank the PSI up to 130 or so and do it in about 4 or 5 cycles. 11.3 CFM ought to do just fine for drawing a vacuum!

byounghusband

air ratchet
I second that!! Been working on a car motor tear down and this was used more than the Impact Wrench... Use it instead of a regular socket wrench and breaker bar and once the bolt is loose, then apply air pressure to take the bolt out all the way.

Top Bottom