What size/type saw do you all use for segmenting, Celtic Knots, etc?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alankulwicki7

Hey all,
I'm wondering what size/type of saws you all use for cutting small segments.

Currently I have a 12" table saw and while it has all the power I need for most applications, I think it's a little too big for cutting smaller pieces. Plus there would be a lot of waste when making pen blanks. I could change the blade to a smaller one but that's always a pain to do.

Any other alternatives or suggestions out there I'm missing?

Thanks!
Doug

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

The table saw is just one part of the equasion .... The other is the blade you put on it!
It's common for me to swap blades 10 times a day depending on what I'm doing. Chose your blade depending on the cut you are making.
Take a look at some of the older threads for the sled that rherrell made and other have since made their versions. cutting small pieces requires proper setup more than anything else!

jfoh

I have used a table saw with a thin kerf 7 1/2" saw blade with a shop made sliding jig to hold the blank. Also I have used my ban saw with a sliding jig to hold the blank. The critical thing I have found is to match exactly you insert material to the width of your saw blade. Too thin and you have poor fit. Second thing is to not cut all the way through you blank. Much easier to slide in the insert in a perfect slot than to glue up three parts and keep everything lined up exactly.

For my late father in laws funeral I made two pens that had four inserts in the top to signify four children and twelve inserts in the bottom part to signify twelve grandchildren. You had a Celtic type knot on the top and three interlocking on the lower end. A contrasting narrow center band of my mother in laws favorite wood married both halves. One pen was placed in my father in laws pocket and a matching on was given to my mother in law who carries the pen every where and uses it almost every day. I gave my in laws many pens but these were the most important to me.

Both of the pen blanks were made on my band saw. Precision work can be done on a band saw, table saw, cut off saw or even a hand miter box. The important thing is to make a solid device to hold the blank so you can produce precise cuts in exactly the perfect spot.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
2 table saws. I have the delta unisaw for most projects and a Makita 10 in table top model for segmenting. I put a thin kerf 7 1/4 blade on the makita it will just cut 1 inch material. I built a special fence system and use a sled for cutting.

plantman

:bananen_smilies022:Doug: I have a tablesaw, large mitor saw, mini mitor saw, and a large and small band saw . I find that once properly tuned, with a good blade, the large band saw used with a sliding table jig is the safest and most accurate. The small band saw is mounted on the end of my lathe table, and is used to cut blanks to length. 14" band saw is mounted on one end of my Shop Smith with the drill press mounted on the other. It's not so much what saw you use, it's the jigs you use to control the cuts, and the setup of the saw for squareness, and in the case of a band saw the amount of drift when cutting a straight line. Look in the library for tips on setting up saws, and jigs used for this setup. Happy Holidays !!! Jim S

Last edited:

StephenM

I have a Powermatic 65 for cutting blanks to size, a bandsaw for celtic knots (haven't failed at one of those in a while...), a belt/disc sander for scallops, a 10" Delta miter saw for cutting blanks to size and a 26" Stanley backsaw and 50-1/2 miterbox for cutting scallops, end pieces etc. I also have a handmade small miter box (just cuts 90's) to use with a Jr. Gents saw for delicate work.

alankulwicki7

Thanks for all the replies. I was able to find picture of the rherrel sled but does are there any plans for it? It looks very versatile....

I also found a couple of good ideas in the library.

Looks like I've got to make some jigs/sleds now!

Thanks!
Doug

fitzman163

Middletown,PA via The Coal Region,Pittston, PA, US
I have used a table saw with a thin kerf 7 1/2" saw blade with a shop made sliding jig to hold the blank. Also I have used my ban saw with a sliding jig to hold the blank. The critical thing I have found is to match exactly you insert material to the width of your saw blade. Too thin and you have poor fit. Second thing is to not cut all the way through you blank. Much easier to slide in the insert in a perfect slot than to glue up three parts and keep everything lined up exactly.

For my late father in laws funeral I made two pens that had four inserts in the top to signify four children and twelve inserts in the bottom part to signify twelve grandchildren. You had a Celtic type knot on the top and three interlocking on the lower end. A contrasting narrow center band of my mother in laws favorite wood married both halves. One pen was placed in my father in laws pocket and a matching on was given to my mother in law who carries the pen every where and uses it almost every day. I gave my in laws many pens but these were the most important to me.

Both of the pen blanks were made on my band saw. Precision work can be done on a band saw, table saw, cut off saw or even a hand miter box. The important thing is to make a solid device to hold the blank so you can produce precise cuts in exactly the perfect spot.

Very nice! I wish I could see that pen.

jfoh

I did not take a picture of the pens much to my regret. Perhaps I can get a picture when I visit my mother in law this Christmas. It was a very emotional pen to make and help me work through a loss of a good friend in my father in law.

Russknan

After reading this thread, I tried to find the rherrel sled, but came up empty. Could somebody share a link if you have it? Thanks. Russ

Top Bottom