What portable table saw?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

Currently I have a craftsman full size table saw that's about 30 years old. About 6 or 7 years ago, I added a vega fence, and turned it into a really nice saw. But I'm running out of space, so I'm looking for something that I can get out of the way. The problem is the vega fence has really spoiled me.

So what I'm looking for is something with an accurate fence that's also portable with a stand. I've looked at Home Depot & Lowes, and what seems to be the best is the Ridgid 4513. I want something that's good enough for segmenting, but also good enough cutting larger items.

If anyone has this saw, I'd appreciate your thoughts. If you have something different that you really like, I'd like to hear about that too.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Bob; Having worked for a while at Home Depot after retirement and seeing the number or returns, I would go with a De Walt or some other make before I would buy a Ridgid. Just my observation. Jim S

TonyL

Someone (IAP member) just bought a Kolbalt at Lowes and, I think likes it so far. I have the DeWalt and like it, but I am no precision-guy.

robutacion

Hi Bob,

I was in the market for a tablesaw a month or so ago and, I took careful look on to what was available in the 10" machines, my interest points were;

*- Fence accuracy and design

*- Fence sliding system

*- Blade accuracy

*- Blank working height

*- Internal dust collecting system

*- Motor size and noise levels

*- Average unit size and construction stability.

*- The best value for the money

And the machine I endup with was this DeWalt 1850W 254mm Table Saw I/N 6260316 | Bunnings Warehouse

If I had $1,000 or a little over to spend, I would be looking into the https://sydneytools.com.au/dewalt-dw744xp-xess-2000w-254mm-10-machinery-table-saw-with-saw-stand?fee=4&fep=9795&gclid=CjwKEAjwwZmsBRDOh7C6rKO8zkcSJABCusnbNJhVXc6xVy2MC69-O_s2zxqC8sCDntEd2VwHJe-WxxoCaozw_wcB

Having use the machine for a few weeks, it is everything I expected from it, that fence system is just a marvelous invention and I glad that I got it...!

Cheers
George

Dale Lynch

I have one,works like a charm.I spent alot of time going back and forth between the rigid,makita,dewalt.Reading indepent reviews and videos.The fence was the deciding factor.It's big ,straight,and has slots for featherboards or a L-fence.The table is cast aluminum,not machined cast iron so it isn't as true as it could be.Make a good crosscut sled and it's not an issue.The motor has a hard start which annoys me a little.I'd rather have it start slow and build up speed.The wing is right in line with the table so that's one less stand you have to set up for paneling.

wm460

Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia,0860.
Hi Bob,

I was in the market for a tablesaw a month or so ago and, I took careful look on to what was available in the 10" machines, my interest points were;

*- Fence accuracy and design

*- Fence sliding system

*- Blade accuracy

*- Blank working height

*- Internal dust collecting system

*- Motor size and noise levels

*- Average unit size and construction stability.

*- The best value for the money

And the machine I endup with was this DeWalt 1850W 254mm Table Saw I/N 6260316 | Bunnings Warehouse

If I had $1,000 or a little over to spend, I would be looking into the https://sydneytools.com.au/dewalt-dw744xp-xess-2000w-254mm-10-machinery-table-saw-with-saw-stand?fee=4&fep=9795&gclid=CjwKEAjwwZmsBRDOh7C6rKO8zkcSJABCusnbNJhVXc6xVy2MC69-O_s2zxqC8sCDntEd2VwHJe-WxxoCaozw_wcB

Having use the machine for a few weeks, it is everything I expected from it, that fence system is just a marvelous invention and I glad that I got it...!

Cheers
George

Congrats on your new toy George.

robutacion

maxwell_smart007;1776814[B said:
]I have yet to find a portable that I'm happy with - the fences especially seem to be inaccurate and unsafe...
[/B]
I'm sure there are good ones, but I haven't used one yet!

Well my friend, you have never used the Dewalt fense system on their table saws...!

I was very particular about that very part of the machine and I'm most pleased with what I got on mine.

Cheers
George

robutacion

George, what is the exchange rate over there?Here in the states those go for $500-700.

Our exchange value is up the s#!t, our dollar is about AU$0.70 to US$1.

The AU$799.00 for my model on Bunnings, was the cheapest anywhere, others are selling the same model for near AU$1,000 and the shipping to get one of these from the States to me, was about AU$350.00...!:eek:

I picked this one up from the closest Bunnings hardware supplies, about 40km from here...!

Cheers
George

BSea

maxwell_smart007;1776814[B said:
]I have yet to find a portable that I'm happy with - the fences especially seem to be inaccurate and unsafe...
[/B]
I'm sure there are good ones, but I haven't used one yet!

Well my friend, you have never used the Dewalt fense system on their table saws...!

I was very particular about that very part of the machine and I'm most pleased with what I got on mine.

Cheers
George
Doesn't the Dewalt fence have to be locked in the front and back? Maybe I have the models confused. But several do this, and it just seems like getting the fence straight consistently would be a problem.

The fence on most of the models I've looked at don't seem accurate. I haven't looked to see if there is an aftermarket fence for smaller systems. But in this day and age, I'd think that a good fence on a $500 saw would be common. I don't want to look at an aftermarket fence if I don't have too. Like I said earlier, the vega fence on my table saw has really spoiled me.

Curly

The direction I would take.

Bosch and SawStop have new portable table saws that detect your misplaced flesh and drop the blade. Something important when segmenting smaller pieces. They cost more than the run of the mill saws in that size range but are cheaper than loosing your CA applicator and preferred nose picker. :wink:

BSea

I see Jet also has a Job Site saw. Anybody have any experience with that one? It might be worth waiting on a Jet sale to get that one.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I got this one last Xmas. I have been very happy with it. I bought the model without the stand as mine will be on a bench in my basement. I have an older full size Craftsman in the garage for any larger projects.

I went to Lowes, Home Depot, and Cleveland Tool & Cutter (Mid to High End Contractor Machines) and played with all the fences. The Bosch felt the most solid for my experience. Price was very reasonable for the others I considered.

GTS1031 10

Rockytime

I don't think a job site saw can ever compete feature for feature with a quality full size contractor's saw. I sold my Delta Unisaw to make more shop space. How I regret that. I recently purchased a Lowe's Kobalt saw. I looked at many saws and carefully researched the web and YouTube diligently. The DeWalts received excellent reviews. Bosch not quite as much and Rigid came out t the bottom in my research. Did not find much on the Delta saws. I saw a few on the Kobalt but not many. My closest Home Depot does not even carry their own Rigid saw. I finally went to Lowes which had Bosch, Delta, DeWalt and Kobalt on display. After spending an hour or more comparing features I finally decided on the Kobalt. It is very well built. The folding stand is very rigid. I liked the idea of a front and back lock on the fence. I can make the fence accurate but I also want the fence to remain where I place it. The table is a little smaller than the other saws on display. I also appreciated the slide out side wing goes out to 30" which is great for 24" cuts. The price difference is spectacular. Being old and retired I do watch my budget carefully. Also at 76 with many health problems I don't even know how long I can continue my current projects. God wiling I'll have some good years left. But back to the Kobalt saw, I think it is a terrific bargain. What ever you buy enjoy it and happy shoping.

Attachments

• 20150611_172631.jpg
    20150611_172631.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 90

BSea

1st off, I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions. It's been about a month, and I'm back to looking at the saws again. Here's where I'm at:
I still think the Ridgid has the best fence of the saws I looked at. The Dewalt was a rack and pinion style fence that looks like it would be very accurate once set up. I have got to agree with Rocktime on the Kobalt saw. It's the least expensive of any of the saws I looked at, and I was pleasantly surprised at how accurate the fence was. It locks in front and back, which I said I didn't want. But it locked better than any other saw with this style fence. I think you would have to try to get this to lock out of square.

I might consider the General 50-090RK. But that is really getting up there in price. But since I don't plan on moving this anyplace other than out to my driveway, the weight shouldn't be a problem, and should be a plus. I really like that it is a belt drive, so should be quieter without such a hard startup. I did find a review on this saw. It does seem to have a good fence, but at over twice the cost of the Dewalt, I can't justify the cost when the Saw Stop is only $150 more. But there is a place for me to go look at both of them side by side, along with the Dewalt. It's a couple of hours away, so I may wait till I have another reason to be in the area before I can see it in person.

Last edited:
Top Bottom