What new lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KCW

I am considering a new midi lathe and want some opinions on what lathe serves them the best. For now I'm not interested in turning bowls, so just smaller stuff. One big question would be, what midi has a nice long tailstock quill travel? Thanks guys.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KCW

I will add, that I currently use a cheap harbor freight 5 speed lathe, that has served me well, but just want to upgrade. Anyone?

I've never had any problems with my Rikon. The few times I called the company, their response and customer service was top notch. It does turn up to 12" and I added a bed extension "just in case". The bed extension does help with the added weight, too! Tail stock spindle travel is 2 1/8" which is adequate for me.

KCW

Dan get a Delta 46-460! If all you make is pens, that's an easy one. Quiet, vari-speed, reversible, super easy belt change, Delta lifetime reliability.

This would definitely be at the top of the list, I'm also curious about the comet II.

plantman

Dan; What about a mini metal lathe ?? Than you could turn both metal and wood, cut threads, and build another lathe !! Jim S

Dan Masshardt

Why anyone wouldn't want to turn bowls is beyond me. Lol. :).

For a midi lathe, it seems like the best bang for your buck is the newer rikon especially in sale.

The jet 1221 is probably the most popular midi lathe right now and I like mine. The delta has solid features and is well liked although seems less popular for new purchases as of late.

The thing with quill travel is you really should be backing out to clear the chips fairly often anyway.

KCW

Why anyone wouldn't want to turn bowls is beyond me. Lol. :).

For a midi lathe, it seems like the best bang for your buck is the newer rikon especially in sale.

The jet 1221 is probably the most popular midi lathe right now and I like mine. The delta has solid features and is well liked although seems less popular for new purchases as of late.

The thing with quill travel is you really should be backing out to clear the chips fairly often anyway.

Thanks Dan, I really hadn't looked too much at the Rikon lathes, and they look nice. I am not ruling out bowls, just not yet. Ahhhh, clearing chips is over rated:wink:

low_48

I hold my breath every time I hit the switch on my Delta 46-460. It's a wonderful lathe, but way to many folks have had trouble, then trouble getting parts. I would only buy a variable speed machine, but have no advice on brands.

Mengtian

I have a similiar thread going. I am leaning toward the Grizzly 12x18 lathe. It is 3/4 HP and variable speed. One thing I am not sure about is that I want to do bowls and the slowest speed is 650. Some folks have told me that is OK and others have said that would be too fast.

Cmiles1985

What I love about the Jet as opposed to the Delta is the speed ranges. These are the only ones from your list I've used. On my Jet, I rarely change belt positions...not even for the small bowls I make. With the Delta, a belt change is necessary between drilling/turning and turning/finishing. I looked at the new Rikon midi lathe at SWAT, but didn't think to look at the speed ranges.

Edit: I had just looked at another thread that listed lathes!

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

I have a similiar thread going. I am leaning toward the Grizzly 12x18 lathe. It is 3/4 HP and variable speed. One thing I am not sure about is that I want to do bowls and the slowest speed is 650. Some folks have told me that is OK and others have said that would be too fast.

It is certainly not ideal (650 min) Also the extra 1/4 Hp of the jet or rikon will help for turning bowls especially at the upper size range of the lathe.

Mengtian

It is certainly not ideal (650 min) Also the extra 1/4 Hp of the jet or rikon will help for turning bowls especially at the upper size range of the lathe.

The RIKON 70-100 12-by-16-Inch Mini Lathe is 1/2 HP.

low_48

You're getting different answers because "bowls" covers a wide range of design. If you are doing a lot of nicely band sawn discs, 2" thick, 650 is okay. But you do natural edges, burls, or 6" deep bowls, 650 is WAY TOO FAST! After getting burned on a horrible bandsaw, I refuse to buy anything with a motor from Grizzly. But since I continue to give that advice on the internet, Grizzly has refused to sell me anything. My wife tried to buy a guitar pickup on Amazon, Grizzly fulfills the product, but sent her an email saying they refused to do business with us. So I guess we have a mutual disdain for each other!

Fish30114

That one-way lathe is pretty nice, but is certainly on the budget max side. I will say that I have turned on a Rikon 700-220 VSR, and it is very nice. I started with a Jet 12 20 VSR, and unfortunately mine was a Friday night built on and I had a ton of issues-ended up with the Nova DVR XP, which has been a good-not great- lathe, but I have had horrible issues with the integrity of Nova/Teknatool. If I was going to look at lathes again, based on feedback from friends that have them and the customer service the have received, I would probably be going with a Rikon. Oh and btw, I definitely agree with those who have said get as much HP as you can afford--you'll like it in the long run!

Good luck, a new lathe is always fun!

Top Bottom