What height lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

healeydays

Folks,

I am setting up my midi lathe I just picked up (Jet 1014i) and am trying to figure out what is a comfortable height for the worktable I want to build for it. Are there any suggested standards? I will probably have a couple other mobile type tools I will use this bench for too over time. I am about 5'10" and distance from the floor to my elbow bent is about 40"

Mike B

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

based on that info, i would subtract the distance of your [spindle to the base of the lathe] from the 40" and build the worktable to that height. Hope this makes sense

Silverado

My Jet 1014 is sitting on my bench. The bench is 33" in height.
I find it a comfortable to turn at this height and I am also 5' 10".

Hope this Helps
Tim

I read that the height should be somewhere near the height of your elbow. I used a heavy duty workmate and added a 3/4" piece of plywood to it and it fits me well.

healeydays

It sound like I need to be at 40"ish to the head stock by the sound of of it.

That is about what I was hoping for. Now I need to go out and find a couple kitchen cabinet units with drawers to help me get organized with all the little bits and put the countertop I have stashed away on top.

Thanks everyone...

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
The instructions I use are to hold your forearm parallel to the floor and set the lathe height at the point where your middle finger meets the line formed between the tail and head stock centers. An inch above or below is acceptable if your comfortable with it.
I built what amounts to a wide top saw horse with a shelf near the bottom and the lathe sitting on the top. I can add blocks to the bottom of the legs or saw off an inch if needed to get it where I want it. I have added small shelves, boxes on the ends and a sliding shelf to hold the MicroMesh. There are holes in the top to hold the odd tools for the chuck and several more add-ons as were needed.
WB

Kretzky

Lathe Spindle Centre should be "around" your elbow height. The actual " measurement is unimportant (& varies from person to person), as long as it's comfortable for you. I have my lathe on a standard height saw horse & it works fine for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom