What is "light machine oil"? - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners  
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2007, 02:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Local Chapter Manager

Photos: 23

"Light machine oil" is clearly oil you put on a lamp (the only light emitting machine in my shop), or oil for your machines that weigh under 5 pounds, your LIGHT machines.

GEEEEEEZZZZEEE, these girls just don't know nothin teknikal!!!![}:)][}:)][}:)]
(Wait til Cav sees that one!)
Old 01-27-2007, 03:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 0

You've already had many good answers, but to chime in with specifics... So, I'm a newbie here but Bernina sewing machine repair is another sideline of mine.

Sewing machine oil, specifically Bernina sewing machine oil, is Mobil Velocite 10, high speed spindle oil and great for this instance. See any Bernina sewing machine dealer. We have guys come in all the time and sheepishly ask for a $3.99 oiler so they can use it on shop machine parts.

WD40 is a good solvent and bad lubricant. It will cause things to freeze pretty quickly if not chased with light machine oil. I've seen too many sewing machines locked up tite because hubby "serviced" the machine with WD40 thinking it was light oil.
rixstix is offline   Top
Old 01-27-2007, 03:59 PM   #13 (permalink)

Back in the day.... when I was a bench tech, we used Hoppe's gun oil for lubing printers. I still use it around the house and shop.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by rixstix
<br />You've already had many good answers, but to chime in with specifics... So, I'm a newbie here but Bernina sewing machine repair is another sideline of mine.

Sewing machine oil, specifically Bernina sewing machine oil, is Mobil Velocite 10, high speed spindle oil and great for this instance. See any Bernina sewing machine dealer. We have guys come in all the time and sheepishly ask for a $3.99 oiler so they can use it on shop machine parts.

WD40 is a good solvent and bad lubricant. It will cause things to freeze pretty quickly if not chased with light machine oil. I've seen too many sewing machines locked up tite because hubby "serviced" the machine with WD40 thinking it was light oil.
Rick, I can't say what you saw with the sewing machines. But the the rest of the comments are pure nonsense. I, and millions of other people have used it for 'fine' machine work for decades. It is a lubricant, as a light oil it can loosen and remove some old dirt and whatever. As far as 'freezing' things. The many-many millions of people who use it for guns will tell you differently.
I have met the inventor and learned first hand that it is a lubricant, how and why, it was developed. Do some Googling, you will learn a lot.
Rifleman1776 is offline   Top
Old 01-27-2007, 08:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 34

Quote:
Originally posted by bradh
<br />.....I guess where I'm going with this is to tell you you should be able to use a few drops of motor oil for the job and save the cost of those expensive little cans. I have kept an oil can of motor oil around the shop for years and use it for jobs like this. I also cut it with some paint thinner to create honing oil for the oil stone.
I totally agree with Brad's thinking; however........ If you go out and buy a can of motor oil or Marvel oil, the smallest size you will find will be one quart and you will also have to spend 5 or 6 dollars for a dispenser for the oil as well. Since 99% of all lube jobs require about 3 drops of oil, a full quart of oil will last most normal people about 200 years. That being the case, I don't mind spending a little higher price per ounce for a 4 oz. container of 3 in 1 oil that already comes in a handy dispenser with a long narrow tip to get into tight places.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:00 PM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 232

Not me, Frank. The last time I used WD-40 on one of my guns (about 20 years ago) I found it rusting in the cabinet about two weeks later. I started using a silicone based oil and haven't looked back. Not trying to start an argument, just stating my experience. If it works for you, you're more fortunate than I.[;)]
"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan
alamocdc is offline   Top
Old 01-27-2007, 09:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by angboy
<br />Thanks for the input everyone. Now I just have to look for these oils that I haven't heard of- 3-in-1, Marvel mystery oil... hhmmmm, where does one buy those? They probably had it right at Walmart where I was looking!
DSA: I don't know about Wal-Mart; but I get my 3 in 1 oil at Home Depot. I imagine most auto parts stores will carry it along with motor oil and Marvel oil.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:10 PM   #18 (permalink)

I'm with Billy on this one. I've heard lots of horror stories about rusting firearms after having a coat of WD-40. I don't have any first hand experience with the problem. Have always used Hoppe's on mine and never had any rust!!
Old 01-27-2007, 11:02 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Rick, I can't say what you saw with the sewing machines. But the the rest of the comments are pure nonsense [:)][:D][;)].

I, and millions of other people have used it for 'fine' machine work for decades. It is a lubricant, as a light oil it can loosen and remove some old dirt and whatever. As far as 'freezing' things. The many-many millions of people who use it for guns will tell you differently.
I have met the inventor and learned first hand that it is a lubricant, how and why, it was developed. Do some Googling, you will learn a lot.
Frank,

I inserted the "smilies" that I'm sure you meant to include...
[:)][:)]

let's disgree agreeably shall we? WD-40 is my favorite solvent and 3-in-1 my handy quick oiler...
Home of Bubbasville East
clewless is offline   Top
Old 01-27-2007, 11:03 PM   #20 (permalink)

excuse double post...doh!
Home of Bubbasville East
clewless is offline   Top
Closed Thread