What is "light machine oil"? - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners  
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2007, 11:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 290

Default What is "light machine oil"?

I have a terrible squeal in my DP and I've neglected it horribly. So I dug out the manual, which says that once a week[:0][:0][:0], apparently not meaning once a set of 75 or so weeks, you should put"light machine oil" somewhere in the top. So what exactly is "light machine oil"? I asked at WallyWorld and they had no idea what I was talking about. I'm hoping that something I already have around my shop maybe will fit the bill? Out of fear of ridicule, I won't say what various liquid substances in containers around my shop were considered for using as light machine oil [:o)](no, CA was NOT one of them!).
angboy is offline   Top
Old 01-27-2007, 12:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 34

DSA: I think 3 in 1 oil should do just fine and is something you are likely to be familiar with. And it is handy for lots of things around the house. (massages??[:D])

Not as likely a problem; but the belts can also squeal. The solution for that is belt dressing from the auto parts store......absolutely do not get oil on the belts.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Sewing machine oil is light oil, and so is oil for clippers, and so is 3 in 1 oil. Hope that helps a little.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 232

Ang, it would be nice if oil was oil, but this isn't really the case. The "light" in light machine oil means that the oil typically has a lower viscosity than other oils. Sewing machine oil, air tool oil and maybe even good old Marvel Mystery Oil would do the trick (as would 3-in-1 that Randy mentioned).
"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan
alamocdc is offline   Top
Old 01-27-2007, 01:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hmmmmm light machine oil......

I would think the oil can would be real easy to pick up do to oil being very light.[:D][:D][:D]

Sorry just couldn't resist...

Yep use Marvel Mystery Oil. it works for air tools to anything else that needs oil.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Quote:
Originally posted by angboy
<br />I have a terrible squeal in my DP and I've neglected it horribly. So I dug out the manual, which says that .....you should put"light machine oil" somewhere in the top. So what exactly is "light machine oil"?
OK Ang ..... your first problem has been solved. Now, the next question is ... how do you find the exact location of "somewhere in the top"? [;)]

DocStram is offline   Top
Old 01-27-2007, 08:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Viscocity is sometimes shown by a number. The lower the number the lighter the oil(lower thickness). A 10 weight oil is very light, a 90 weight oil is very thick. Todays engine oils have complex weightings like 5W-30, but that is still quite light.
I guess where I'm going with this is to tell you you should be able to use a few drops of motor oil for the job and save the cost of those expensive little cans. I have kept an oil can of motor oil around the shop for years and use it for jobs like this. I also cut it with some paint thinner to create honing oil for the oil stone.
Brad Harding
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
....Exposing the beauty that God weaves into wood
bradh is offline   Top
Old 01-27-2007, 08:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 290

Thanks for the input everyone. Now I just have to look for these oils that I haven't heard of- 3-in-1, Marvel mystery oil... hhmmmm, where does one buy those? They probably had it right at Walmart where I was looking!

Randy, good multi-use for the oil[:D], it's always nice to not have to buy something else!

And Al, luckily the manual has pictures for me, so hopefully I can handle that part. But if I have trouble, I have managed to finish my recruitment for a surrogate husband in my new location. I've found one, so now I have someone to charm into doing it for me. [:X][:X]

angboy is offline   Top
Old 01-27-2007, 09:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

Angboy said: "Now I just have to look for these oils that I haven't heard of- 3-in-1, Marvel mystery oil... hhmmmm, where does one buy those? "
Both of those products have been on the market for nearly a century. Yes, they probably were right at hand, you just didn't know they woudl work. I'm sure WD-40 would work also.
But, when I need something like that I usually use a gun oil. There are many fine brands on the market but I favor Break Free because of it's teflon base. The teflon remains even after the oil is worn off. Only drops are needed.
Rifleman1776 is offline   Top
Old 01-27-2007, 10:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

Ang,
Marvels Mystery is super stuff!! Not only do I use it around the shop for all the reasons previously stated but a little in my airplane keeps the fuel tanks healthy and helps out with upper cylinder lube as 100LL is getting even less lead in it now days.

Nolan