Video of my latest HF chop saw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

I have seen a few videos with people having all sorts of troubles with these type imitations from Harbor Freight and Chinese made that simply don't have enough power in those little motors and while I appreciate the fact that they, they were cheap from about $30 or so, I have also seen this type imitation saw selling on eBay for up $80 and that starts to be not so cheap after all, particularly if it doesn't work as we all wanted it to so, I suggest that, if you have plenty of use for one of these type mini drop-saws, you should consider a quality brand that will cost a bit more but will work and last a lot longer.

I'm talking about theses machines from Proxxon, they worth it.

PROXXON - KG 50

or

PROXXON - KGS 80

I have 2 drop-saws but none as a mini, I don't really have a need for these smaller machines and for the amount of tubing I cut, I can use any of the drop-saws I have which are an overkill but get me out of troubles.

I have also seen chainsaw chain electric sharpeners being modified as a drop-saw, that will also work, you only have to get a mini vice and some blades.

There are always trying to save a buck when it comes to equipment and accessories, in a way we are lucky that we can buy Chinese made stuff that the proper brands are excessively expensive, unless you need something that will work all day, every day, in that case, Chinese stuff won't make it and believe me, I have tried more times than I can remember, I endup spending more money in the end by replacing the cheap stuff that seems always a good idea at the time but very rarely works so, I have to admit, when I need something that I need to be strong and reliable I chose quality branded stuff.

Good luck,

Cheers
George

thewishman

Looks pathetically underpowered to me. Personally, I would return for a refund and look for a better one elsewhere.

Hi Frank! I noticed you were back a couple of weeks ago. Welcome back.:)

Yeah, this IS the replacement saw. They must have changed the design of this saw.:frown:

I'm very willing to spend more for a reliable tool. Buying a cheap saw isn't my goal, I need something that will cut cleanly and with precision. Any recommendations?

Marc

I have the Proxxon KGS-80 and really like it. I also have a giant harbor freight miter saw, but it has serious limitations when it comes to small pieces.

Also, my son borrowed it and put a tile blade on it. When I got it back I tried to change the tile blade for the regular 10 in blade and could not get the blade to firmly reseat. My fear is that is will come loose and fly around my shop and cause me great injury.

I keep it around as a reminder about the perils of loaning out tools...

thewishman

I have the same saw and it cuts fine - smooth cuts with no stalling. My only complaint is the low visibility of the cut area when operating the saw.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Ditto...I don't really use anymore but it works fine. If you're interested I'd send it to you for cost of postage? Let me know. George

You're the man! Thanks George!

robutacion

I have the same saw and it cuts fine - smooth cuts with no stalling. My only complaint is the low visibility of the cut area when operating the saw.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Ditto...I don't really use anymore but it works fine. If you're interested I'd send it to you for cost of postage? Let me know. George

You're the man! Thanks George!

Yeah, George's are all a bunch of kind people...!:biggrin:

Well done

Cheers
George

thewishman

Any chance the blade is on backwards? It does happen, and behaves like the video.

Yeah, I checked both saws - the blade is spinning in the direction printed on the blade. Good thinking - I did go and check that again before writing this post.:)

137 views on my first video!! Watch out PSY, at this rate I'm gonna pass the views on Gangam Style*.

* In about a trillion years.

BKelley

Chris,
Try the Proxxon 80 I think you will like it. Like you, I bought a HF and it didn't cut the mustard (no pun intended). I popped for the Proxxon and it cuts 3/4" African Blackwood very well using the blade it comes with. The people at Micro-Mark recommend using the silicon carbide disc for cutting pen tubes. I've cut tubes with the standard blade and it does fine, maybe a little burr. Anyway, I can wholeheartly vouch for the Proxxon 80.

Ben

thewishman

I'd love to have the Proxxon 80. The $235 price is holding me back, at least until George's saw arrives and is run through some rigorous testing - like cutting brass tubes.:)

Top Bottom