Vacuum Chamber

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

terrymiller

I would like to make a bigger vacuum chamber than the quart jar I have now. I was thinking about a five gallon bucket. Does anyone know if this will withstand the pressure. I tried a metal 1 gallon paint pan with no sucess. I cant finde any gallon glass jars readily available without eating alot of pickles. Any comments welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dubdrvrkev

What kind of vacuum source are you using now? I'm not going to do the preaching safety thing, just careful what to recommend. One thing that will work (safely) is a vacuum desiccator. They aren't real cheap but they are on ebay farily commonly. You could just put a container inside with fluid and blanks rather than filling the bottom with fluids.
Here is an example; http://www.2spi.com/catalog/supp/desi3.shtml
Hope that helps.

rtparso

Wow Kevin that is a good price.
As to what can be used; 5 gal buckets don't work they just collapse. You can use just about anything that holds air. As far as safety the maximum pressure differential between the inside and outside is ~14 psi so there isn't much pressure. If you are using glass you can use tape to secure the pieces if it breaks. Use a couple layers of clear vinyl tape if you want to see inside.

dubdrvrkev

If you want to do it on the cheap. I have seen where people use PVC pipe to make tanks for vacuum veneering, so I suppose you could use a threaded cap on one end and plumb a fitting into that. I would be a little concerned about using any fluids that were high solvent that may damage the glue joints on the PVC though. Buts it another avenue to explore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom