Using tuned saw for sled

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
Now that the saw is "squared" away...
I've built a proto sled for small parts.

I've added a few features to accommodate the parts that I will cut.
It will have angle plates to facilitate quick, accurate, repeatable cuts.
It will have the most common angles cut into the sled for quick reference.
The slots will have a countersunk slot on the under side for use of a carriage bolt and threaded knob for quick adjustments.
I might add 1/2" increment marks across the sled just for giggles.
I will also add a toggle clamp to hold some of the smaller parts.

This rendering doesn't show the fence or miter bar, since I didn't use 3D software to draw it. And it will also get a 90 degree plate, it's just not shown.

This is a right hand side sled and I'm drawing up plans for other sleds.
After testing the sleds and making any final adjustments, these will be cut from solid surface for longevity and to eliminate warping and it's slick properties. I have access to the solid surface, so why not use it?

9XYhZCr.png

Thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
I will post a photo of this when I get it finished.
I made a test run, and the angles are dead on, so I will get it completed yet today.

I've also decided to make some extra angle plates. The originals are intended to lay flat, however, I'm making extras to stand them on edge so longer pieces can be mitered. Naturally the pieces will be made into a box of sorts, and be adjustable as the plates are. It will make more sense when I get them finished and post a photo.

Stay tuned...

Terredax

Banned
Quite similar to the sleds segmenters used before the development of the wedgie sled and still do.

I had to look up the Wedgie Sled, I've never heard of it.
It looks like too many variables for what I need. With knobs holding the angle in a slot, it has the potential to change (slip) and the angle has to be set. Seems like a lot of set-up time involved to change the angle between cuts. I like to keep it simple. Less opportunity to get something wrong.

Here is my sled with the angle plates. The plates are exact (or as close as one can get), and can be changed is less than a minute. No set-up time to get the angle perfect, just put in place and tighten the knob. Looking closely, the angle of the plate matches exactly to the angle on the sled.

It will be getting a toggle clamp when I can get one. I will do some test cuts using the sled this weekend. I need to make a frame, so that will be a good test.

Here it is...

IuNgwgV.png

buJ4bf0.png

MRFFSCO.png

It just has a scrap piece for the fence. I will cut a permanent fence and place gussets behind it for strength.

Thanks for looking.

Gary Beasley

You have a pretty good setup. A wedgie sled is specialized for doing segmented rings for bowls and other vessels. Ive used them for bracelets as well. I can set up my wedgie sled in minutes using a highly accurate set of wedges. The segmentation sleds might not be as quick but can be more versatile for other uses.
I have also seen wedge setups like you have for large disc sanders for getting accurate angle faces on pieces cut on less accurate systems.
I look forwards to seeing the projects you turn out with your sled.

Top Bottom