Using the Joyner Pendant Jig on a Midi-Lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BKind2Anmls

I have a PSI midi lathe and the Deluxe Joyner Pendant Jig that I bought a couple of years ago from the original designer. I have been a flat board woodworker for many years but am still a relative novice to turning.

I found the jig very easy to use and, even with my in-expertise, I made a pretty pendant.

However, I was very nervous when I put it in off-center mode. I don't know if my small lathe is made to handle it. My lathe stand weighs over 200 pounds and I have no vibration but that big piece of metal spinning around off-center was scary.

Is it just my newness to turning that makes me nervous about using it or should the off-center jig only be used on a full-size lathe? Is there anyone else out there who is using it on a small lathe?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Susan -- one of the aspects of multi axis turning is that your are cutting air during the process and cannot see what you are doing in detail. Practice builds some confidence and can make the opportunity more enjoyable. The "propeller noise" -- that whir of the air moving can be unnerving too.

I have done a bunch on my Jet 1014 and as long as the vibration is not moving the lathe around, I have become comfortable with it.

I make shawl pins and napkin rings for the weaver I live with using these techniques and after a dozen, they get easier.

Attachments

• NaplinHoldersOffsetTurning.JPG
    NaplinHoldersOffsetTurning.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 391

Dan Masshardt

I know what you mean. It is weird to have that thing flying around.

The size of your lathe is just fine for the function.

What speed are you turning at? Might want to slow it down a bit.

It's nice to be able to leave the pendant in one place and move the jig but otherwise putting the pendant off center on a large faceplate feels much better.

BKind2Anmls

Thanks, everyone. You've taken a load off of my mind. I feel more comfortable with a table saw than a lathe.

The one time I tried turning a small bowl (I was following along with a video) the thing flew off the lathe, right past my face, and bounced off the wall. I have a lot to learn in woodturning.

I'll also check out moving the piece on a steady faceplate. Maybe I should start with that and then get back to the jig.

I will slow the lathe down, as well. I've never moved the belts; I've always just kept it in the middle speed and used the rheostat. Time to learn how to use the belt adjustment.

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

Thanks, everyone. You've taken a load off of my mind. I feel more comfortable with a table saw than a lathe. The one time I tried turning a small bowl (I was following along with a video) the thing flew off the lathe, right past my face, and bounced off the wall. I have a lot to learn in woodturning. I'll also check out moving the piece on a steady faceplate. Maybe I should start with that and then get back to the jig. I will slow the lathe down, as well. I've never moved the belts; I've always just kept it in the middle speed and used the rheostat. Time to learn how to use the belt adjustment.

Just get used to the jig. You bought it might was well Maximize it.

For me anything over around 1000 feels like too much with the jig off center.

Don't go too slow though or you won't get nice clean cuts.

nativewooder

Susan, it may take some practice for you to feel comfortable. Safety first. Use a good face shield and stay out of the "line of fire" when practicing. Practice on waste wood. All it takes is a little time and some common sense.:biggrin:

shastastan

I have the Joyner Jig and really like it but if you're uncomfortable with the vibes consider this approach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klz6KPRmLu4

The idea opens one's mind to other, improved options, think outside your box dude.
WB

Thanks for that url. One of the many things that I like about wood working is learning new methods. Although I'll continue to use the Joyner jig, I learned how easy it is to add a catch to the cord.

shastastan

Susan, it may take some practice for you to feel comfortable. Safety first. Use a good face shield and stay out of the "line of fire" when practicing. Practice on waste wood. All it takes is a little time and some common sense.:biggrin:

Ditto and don't forget the draw bar.

Here's the url for Capn Eddie using the Joyner jig. His method to practice 1st is a good one, IMO.

Top Bottom