Used Hegner or other Scroll Saw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fish30114

What scroll saw would you guys recommend. I posted on the Segmenting forum and I am probably going to buy a high precision mini table saw for segmenting, I have decided also that I will buy a scroll saw regardless of that choice--so I have found a couple of Hegners, used on E-bay, and of course there is the ubiquitous Dewalt scroll saw--which seems to receive increasing negative reviews for the last few years. I don't know about service on a Hegner, or what to expect for an older, used one of them, but I am pretty sure they are the top of the heap if buying new anyway.

Any feedback/info appreciated--Don

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

The Hegners are one of the top of the line scroll saws. I have had a Dewalt and a Delta for many years now, and would pick the Dewalt over the Delta every time. My suggestion would be to visit a woodworking store near you that allows you to use the floor models side by side to see what suits your requirements the best. The reason I chose the Dewalt is the fact that you could set a nickel on the table on edge, start the saw and cut some wood without the coin tipping over. My Delta needs two 80 pound sand bags to keep the vibration down to a point where your arms don't go numb after long hours of use. As for used, I would like to be able to see and cut with it before buying an expensive saw. Jim S

Kragax

The scroll saw forums I frequent explained that the newer Dewalt saws (type 2) are no longer made in Canada and at first there were some quality issues that seem to have been worked out over the years and are getting quite a bit better. I bought a used Hawk 220 myself and after using a Ryobi for years the difference is incredible. You can pick up older high end saws on Craig's list and other places. I think I'd like to pick up an Excalibur for the tilting head rather then the table. A higher wend saw make it a joy to scroll again.

Wct3

Excalibur saw

I've got an older Excalibur scroll saw, still a super saw after 20 years. If I had to replace it, I'd definitely go for the new tilting head Excalibur, but if I was looking for used, any of their models are great saws.

jd420214

I have one of the older Dewalts and loved it but wanted a deeper saw for bigger patterns found a RBI G4 Hawk in really nice shape its smooth as silk. A friend has the excaliber and its really a nice cutting saw if I ever have to replace the G4 I,m going to get the larger Excaliber.
Dave

shastastan

I've had an RBI Hawk for over 20 years with nary a problem. I've given it some serious use since I do intarsia. Whichever one you get, take time to set it up and learn the features. Use good quality blades;that makes a big difference. I use Mike's.

J Michael

If Shastastan is talking about the same Mike's blades that most scroll sawers know about his brand is the "Flying Dutchman" (FD) - Mike's Workshop is his website and it is a wealth of information on scrolling blades. I read recently that he was finally going to retire, again, and was selling out his business to The Wooden Teddy Bear (WTB). Don't know if that has happened yet or if it's still-in-the-works if that story was true since his website is still up. But, I've been getting my FD blades from WTB for several years because of their prices except when I needed a blade they didn't carry and I would get it directly from Mike. Like Mike, the folks at WTB are super nice folks to deal with.

Last edited:

shastastan

Thanks J Michael and oneleggimp. I have not bought any blades from Mike for some years now because I still hqave quite a few left to use. Been doing mostly turning rather than scrolling.

shastastan

Well Don, the same rule applies to all types of saw blades = depends on what you use them for. The lower the number, the finer the teeth on scroll saw blades. I bought all sizes when I started and I still have many of the larger sizes, 9 - 12, left. I mainly use 5's and 7's. Within sizes there are also different types of blades including different teeth spacing and other features. YMMV

jfoh

I bought a RBI in a pawn shop for less than 200 dollars. It was like new and has given me excellent service with absolute no problems. Point is to look at Craigslist and local pawn shops. This shop was in a Black area with few wood workers likely to ever drop by. It had been there for months and they were ready to take cash to get rid of it. Cash always talks loudest.

Fish30114

Folks, I appreciate all the feedback, I went with an Exalibur 21 that I got a great deal on from the Bay. I really like the articulating table, and am looking forward to getting an assortment of blades I ordered from Lesleys--the place I found that is carrying the Flying Dutchman blades as well as some others. I do wonder if folks use a fence on their scroll saws, none of the saws I looked at had a miter slot in the tables, so I wonder if folks just don't use that feature...I have intentions on trying to saw some blanks, which I want to do symmetrically and I was thinking I would like to use a miter type attachment to make those cuts--I'm thinking I would just clamp a jig I come up with to the table--does that make any sense?

Top Bottom