ULTIMATE PEN SEGMENTING SLED - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2018, 03:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default ULTIMATE PEN SEGMENTING SLED

I have been wanting to get into segmenting but quickly realized you need a good table saw sled to do that. So I searched for as many ideas as I could and have come up with a basic design that will accomodate 0 vertical cuts for trimming blank width, 90 horizontal cuts for cutting blanks to the correct length, 30, 45, & 60 cuts for segmenting. It utilizes different module jigs for each cut. With this design the saw blade will always push the blank into the fence and against the stop. All jigs have horizontal toggle clamps to safely hold the material while cutting.

Please take a look at it and tell me what you think. Did I miss anything?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ULTIMATE PEN SEGMENTING SLED (UPSS).pdf (162.1 KB, 719 views)
GDIS46 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-31-2018, 08:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 1

This is interesting. Following along.
gtriever is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-31-2018, 09:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 5

This looks a lot like the Dubby Sled I purchased at a wood show years ago. I use the sled for cutting segments and it works great.
tomtedesco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 05-31-2018, 10:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtedesco View Post
This looks a lot like the Dubby Sled I purchased at a wood show years ago. I use the sled for cutting segments and it works great.
I also have the Dubby sled, left and right and still use them quite offend. Interesting project you have.
Dieseldoc is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-31-2018, 11:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Thank you for sharing this. I built my own from a design that another member created. The only thing I don't see, but may very well be there are two zero clearance rails that fit snugly into the groves of my saw table. I also added a block of wood that is attached to the rear fence that serves as somewhat of a safety. I must add that I am not anywhere near the wood worker that you folks are. I basically copied someone else's design. I did see that Rockler had one on sale last week.

Peace,

Tony

Member of Local IAP Georgia Chapter meets quarterly in Roswell, GA
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-31-2018, 11:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 83

I love jigs and made many and will continue to make them as needed. I looked at your diagram a couple times and have to say I do not understand it at all. I can not for the life of me figure out where the stock goes and where the jig portion goes. I am looking at the tracks and looks like you have the stock up against the track which is a no-no. I know I am missing something but if you are using this as a plan to make these for sale better plans with better detail are needed. Would like to see something with more detail and description if possible. Show where the blade is in relation to things. Show a blank on the jig. I could not make any more suggestions because I do not understand it. Sorry.

I too own 2 Dubby sleds but still made dedicated sleds for segmenting pen blanks. Cutting blanks to length does not require special sleds. Just a miter gauge.
Attached Thumbnails
imgp0970.jpg  

Last edited by jttheclockman; 05-31-2018 at 11:59 AM.
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-01-2018, 08:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 1

After looking at this closely, IMO you need to redesign your angle templates. As JT said, the t-track needs to be recessed into the template ; also, the clamps need to be relocated so you can clamp short pieces closer to the blade.

EDIT: Looking at it again, if the t-track is top-mounted along the edge of the angled templates it would work. Personally, for greater support I'd still prefer to see it recessed about an inch or so back from the edge of the templates.

Last edited by gtriever; 06-01-2018 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Add info
gtriever is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-02-2018, 11:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
1. The only thing I don't see, but may very well be there are two zero clearance rails that fit snugly into the groves of my saw table.

2. I also added a block of wood that is attached to the rear fence that serves as somewhat of a safety.
Thanks for your input.

1.My specs call for two Incra 18" adjustable rails. This version of the drawing didn't show them but the newest version does. I would add adjustment access holes in the sled base for adjusting.

2. Good point. I thought about the safety block but 90, 60, 45, and 30 cuts are made in the middle of the sled so the blade never gets to the back fence. The only cut that doesn't is 0 blank width trimming. So I could add a notch in that jig to bring the working area back in the middle of the sled or add a safety block.
Attached Thumbnails
ultimate-pen-segmenting-sled-upss-.jpg  

Last edited by GDIS46; 06-02-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtedesco View Post
Is there another version of the Dubby sled? I'm not seeing the similarity.
Attached Thumbnails
dubby1.jpg   nhlvval.jpg  
Old 06-02-2018, 12:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jttheclockman View Post
1. I looked at your diagram a couple times and have to say I do not understand it at all. I can not for the life of me figure out where the stock goes and where the jig portion goes.

2. I am looking at the tracks and looks like you have the stock up against the track which is a no-no.

3. I know I am missing something but if you are using this as a plan to make these for sale better plans with better detail are needed.

4.Would like to see something with more detail and description if possible. Show where the blade is in relation to things. Show a blank on the jig.

5. Cutting blanks to length does not require special sleds. Just a miter gauge.
Thanks for your input.

1. That is what I need to hear. This is a preliminary concept diagram.

2. I don't understand why that is a no-no.

3. This is a preliminary drawing which will progress as I get more feedback.

4. I will post some pictures when I get it built in different configurations.

5. Perhaps true but I wanted a single sled that would do all my cuts and using a sled is safer than using a miter gauge. My sled has hold downs so your fingers are not close to the blade.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads