turning tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Milpaul

I have been using the Windsor turning tools from Harbor Freight and it is time to replace some. My question is these tools have worked fine for me, is it just that I don't know any better or are the more expensive tools worth it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

This question comes up every once in a while. If you check the archives you'll come up with all kinds of discussions on it and they are all good reading. Of course many of the more expensive tools carry that price due to the quality of the steel and the construction and will give you more options in performance and other attributes.

Still the proof of the pudding, so to speak, is how the tool feels in your hands and fits your eye. I have, through a series of sales, a great variety of turning tools from many manufacturers. Giving my limited skill, I find myself grabbing different tools at different times for no other reason than I feels better that day.

I hope some of the folks that turn on a more regular basis will weigh in on this but for me it's the feel. If you do "upgrade", please don't get rid of your current tools. I have some that are sitting around the shop waiting for me to experiment with making custom handles (if I can ever decide what handle design I want) to change the feel of the tool. You'd be surprised how much difference the handle can make in the tool's performance and how individual the choices are.

Good luck.

Dario

Are the more expensive tools better? YES
Are they worth it? Some are, some not.
Can you tell the difference? Difficult but yes.
Will more expensive tools make you a better turner? Maybe but only to a degree. Know this....properly cared and sharpened cheap tool can be better than a dull expensive tool.

ALL my pens are made using the cheap Windsor Design HF tools. I'll probably retire using the same tools for my pens. For bowls, I bought the "better/branded" gouges.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Woodcraft SHOULD have their SORBY special in October. 30% off.

Compare these prices (still high, but not AS bad, and decide if it is worth the money, to YOU). They have Sorby tools in their training room - ask to use one, make sure it is properly sharpened (not always true in the training room), and see what you think.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Woodcraft SHOULD have their SORBY special in October. 30% off.

Compare these prices (still high, but not AS bad, and decide if it is worth the money, to YOU). They have Sorby tools in their training room - ask to use one, make sure it is properly sharpened (not always true in the training room), and see what you think.

The Sorby sale is only 20% this year [:(!]

Woodcraft is really going downhill!

See page 3 of the sales flyer:

http://woodcraft.com/tab/salesflyer.aspx

They even excluded special orders and sets! [:(]

Fred

The Sorby line of tools are very well made and they use an excellent grade of HSS steel. I use them exclusively as I like the way the handle fits my beefy hands. I ALWAYS take the tool to one of the display lathes and simulate the use of the wool. If the handle is too short I will consider stepping up to one of the longer handles. I just like the longer handles as they give the turner a lot more control and they don't require as much strength to "hold" as is often the case with shorter handles.

The quality of the steel is important and comes into play when one goes to their sharpening station. Higher quality steel will hold an edge better and allows you to turn longer between sharpening. I don't like the use of regular grinding wheels when it comes to sharpening my tools. The wheel found on the Tormek doesn't cut as much metal from the tool as does a regular white grinding stone. I would classify the Tormek as polishing the edge rather than 'grinding' it. Of course that is my opinion, but when one spends close to $100 for a danged good tool, then I don't want to see sparks flying and watch as the tool gets shorter and shorter either.

ahoiberg

i think as we mature as turners, it's natural to desire better tools. but it also gets easier to create nice pieces with HF tools. when i get to the replacement stage (which is a ways off) i'll probably always maintain a backup set of HF windsors and start one-by-one upgrading to nicer ones.

hazard

I recently got a 1" robert sorby oval skew. Very nice tool but it seems alittle bulky for turning pens. When I bought my grizzly lathe 10yrs ago I bought a beginner set of marples chisels that I have never used since I turned bowls mostly. Small chisels with 6" of steel and 6" of handle. I tried the 1/2" skew which I have never used last night. I liked it alot better because it is so light and balanced. For the pens I don't think a 2' long chisel is needed.

Rifleman1776

I started out with a mystery brand of China made tools and they served me well. Then I acquired a bunch of tools at a garage sale and dumped the Chinas. That was a misteak. [:(] They held edges about as well as the so-called brand names I now have. Do consider upgrading your most used tool but hold on to the oldies. I'm going to be getting a new 1" skew and may go with one of the cryogenically treated ones (almost $100.00) for the edge holding qualties. As for handles, I don't worry about that. We have lathes, make your own if you don't like what a tool comes with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom