Turning pens on an electric drill jig...! poor man's choice.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi everyone,

A couple of years ago someone asked me if I would help him to turn square pen blanks into round, he had no turning lathe or tools apart from an electric drill and a few odds and ends.

This what I put together as a prototype only, so that I could take some pics to send him, I just knew that explaining only, wouldn't do the job so, this is what I made up as an example of what to do for a lathe...!

101_0416_(1).jpg 101_0417_(1).jpg 101_0418_(1).jpg 101_0419_(1).jpg 101_0420_(1).jpg 101_0421_(1).jpg 101_0422_(1).jpg 101_0423_(1).jpg 101_0425_(1).jpg

And for the cutting gouges/chisels...???, he asked...!!!

Everyone has broken/damaged screw bits and old small sockets, that will do, I said...!

Here is a set that I made long ago, to demonstrated what to do to use these "bits" instead of throwing them in the bin...!

Metal gouge and screw bits 002_(1).jpg Metal gouge and screw bits 006_(1).jpg Metal gouge and screw bits 011_(1).jpg Metal gouge and screw bits 016_(1).jpg Metal gouge and screw bits 019_(1).jpg Metal gouge and screw bits 022_(1).jpg Metal gouge and screw bits 031_(1).jpg Metal gouge and screw bits 035_(1).jpg

Now, who said that could not be done...???:wink::biggrin:

Seriously, not something that I would like to use every day but, works...!

Cheers
George

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

George, you are a "Master of Improvisation".
Almost the classic Australian Way, of make anything with a piece of wood and a length of fencing wire.
A lot of merit in keeping your Workshop clear by using your portable rounding "lathe", down the back yard away from the "Shed", for grinding synthetic blanks round, and so keep the dust and muck away from your Workshop.
Congratulations, keep them "wheels" turning.
Brian.

Alchymist

And for the cutting gouges/chisels...???, he asked...!!!

Everyone has broken/damaged screw bits and old small sockets, that will do, I said...!

Here is a set that I made long ago, to demonstrated what to do to use these "bits" instead of throwing them in the bin...!

Now, who said that could not be done...???:wink::biggrin:

Seriously, not something that I would like to use every day but, works...!

Cheers
George
Yep, not a real big deal, here's a pic of all the tools (except the calipers and the 7/16" wrench) that I made for my homemade lathe. Stock was either drill rod or shafts from defunct printers. Handles turned on the same lathe.

Attachments

• TURNTOOL.jpg
    TURNTOOL.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:

robutacion

Very much 'necessity is the mother of invention', did he ever build and use his own?

Quite honestly, I don't think he did, if I recall correctly, he mentioned to me that he found someone with a very old small wood lathe that he could have, for close to nothing, I think it came with a couple of well used gouges so, I think he took that root...!

I lost most contact with this person, that I have the name under my tang but it doesn't want to come out, he was a quite active vendor here, before the classifieds rules have changed (paying adds) he was selling great Desert Iron-wood he collected and processed himself, the wife got really sick and he moved away from IAP so, most contact was lost...!

I believe, he wanted to learn how to make the samples as I do (round and CA finished), and I was most happy to help him achieve that, I just don't know what happened since, sorry...!

God damn, what is his name...???:mad::mad:

Cheers
George

robutacion

Top Bottom