turning pens between centers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NAgrandpa

I'm new to this forum although I've played with turning for a few years off and on. When I replaced my bearings in my Jet 1014 lathe, I drilled a couple of blanks and they came out perfect. I then put them on the mandrel and proceeded to turn, after sanding to almost bushing size I noticed the blank was still a little out of round. This bugged me so I started looking for a fix. I found this forum and read some OLD posts about turning between centers. I like this idea but it seems I can't find later posts. The questions I have: is this still a recommended way of turning? what centers, live and dead are best and recommended companies that sell them? Also one thread said something about 7mm bushings with a shoulder that inserts into the tube, is this available?

Sorry for the long post and I hope I haven't confused you. Thanks for any advice or links to info that will educate me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

paintspill

Well I'll start off that it's still a preferred way for me that's for sure. Haven't seen the 7 mm bushings but I'm sure there out there. As for centers you are looking for a 60 live center (tail stock) and a 60 dead center (head stock). I won't name names cause I don't know what's available in your area. Any place that handles lathes and machining tools should have them. If not most of the companies supplying pen stuff should carry it. You don't need to buy high end to start out. I think I have a picture somewhere. I'll post if I find it.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Gene: Welcome to IAP from Ohio.

For the TBC bushings there are options to purchase them, here is one for starters:

Between Center Steel Bushings

I started with mandrels, now try to go with TBC as much as possible. Eventually you can make your own bushings, or even go without bushings and just use the blanks/tubes... Thoughts for the future! Enjoy.

NAgrandpa

Thanks

to all you. I have ordered my centers, and will order the bushings shortly.

I have learned quite a bit from your responses, the pics, and the links to all the different sites. I looking forward making pens again.

BSea

should probably be worth mentioning that i have never bought bushings made specifically for tbc. i have always used the standard ones. and they have always worked.
I have some specific TBC bushings, and I love them. But I've also used the standard bushings, or even no bushings at all. Bushings are nice but no essential.

Top Bottom