Turning in the house...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Phillips

Hi all

Due to space considerations, along with a weather problem, I am considering moving just the pen making part of my shop into a spare bedroom... specifically the lathe, dust collector, a small workbench and the pen press, etc... The saws and sanders would stay where they are, out on the converted screened in porch... In May my lease will be up and I will be looking for different house with some shop space.

Anyhoo, anyone ever turn and sand pens inside the house? ... or is this a nightmare in the making?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Marc,

Remember Keith? He turn is his apartment closet so it can be done.

Run your DC, preferably during the entire turning session but if not feasible, at least when sanding. Check your DC filter...if it cannot handle the fine dust...you will have a big problem.

Is the bedroom carpeted? If it is, you might want to cover it with heavy duty plastic before moving in. [;)]

Good luck!!!

ctwxlvr

I turn indoors and dust and turnings are a problem, most dust collections will get most of the dust but not all, the way we handle it is to create a negative pressured room with an exhaust fan of 8 to 10 cfm running during and two hours after working in the shop room.

GaryMGg

Hi'ya Marc; long time, no post.
If it were me, I'd acquire some heavy visqueen and cover the screens rather than move inside. Heck, it's only Georgia not Wisconsin. [}:)][;)]

Marc Phillips

Originally posted by GaryMGg
<br />Hi'ya Marc; long time, no post.
If it were me, I'd acquire some heavy visqueen and cover the screens rather than move inside. Heck, it's only Georgia not Wisconsin. [}:)][;)]

It's been awhile [:I] ... but I read y'all's posts every day [:D]

It's more a lack of room than anything else, but the weather has taken it's toll on the machinery... and the crazy amount of hours I have to put in at work has meant that, basically all I do with my limited time off is clean off rust off cast iron ... not fun. [xx(] I have a nice change in my job coming up... should be within 6 weeks or so, and that will make a big difference - less hours, regular days off, etc... just gotta hang in there until then...

I am going to use the visqueen though.... I figure if I just buy a roll of the stuff and some of that double sided tape, or maybe that stuff that you use to mount bathroom fixtures I can seal most of the moisture out...

Working on it... I sure do need to turn again!

GBusardo

Hi Marc, I am sure you thought of this, but when ever I need or want to move things around, I always have to concider power requirements. If the spare room does not have what you need, I would not even concider the spare room. Aside from all the other problems, you or an electrician will have to do some extra work.
Good Luck on the choice!

rherrell

Hey Marc, just read your website and noticed you were stationed at T.I.. I was born and grew up in San Pedro, right across the harbor.
I sure do miss it sometimes. It's a real pretty town, especially out around the cliffs on Paseo del Mar.Oh yeah, I vote for closing in the porch. Turning inside sounds like trouble to me.

Marc Phillips

Originally posted by rherrell
<br />Hey Marc, just read your website and noticed you were stationed at T.I.. I was born and grew up in San Pedro, right across the harbor.
I sure do miss it sometimes. It's a real pretty town, especially out around the cliffs on Paseo del Mar. Oh yeah, I vote for closing in the porch. Turning inside sounds like trouble to me.

Man, I miss that whole area sometimes... especially the diving all over Palos Verdes... used to hit that area for lobster during the season at least twice a week... ah well, guess that was in another life [:D]

keithz

Hi Marc,

As Dario said, I do turn in my apartment. When I set up my lathe, the first thing I did was to lay down a wood floor to protect the carpet. I have been living with this arrangement for almost 4 years and it still works for me. I live alone and am not a clean-freak, but it is an effort to keep everything liveable. The biggest issue is the dust from sanding. My solution is to use a Fein Turbo II vacuum attached to a hood to collect it. This setup does a good job with the dust, but will not collect larger shavings. I figure, I can't inhale them so I just let them fall on the floor where they get vacuumed up.

keithz

DocStram

Seems to me I remember our old friend Skye turning pens in his living room. If I remember correctly, his wife was out of town for the weekend and he covered up all the furniture with sheets ... then started turning away. He even posted a couple of pictures. Anybody else remember laughing at that? [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom