Turncrafter lathe issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dvoigt

I have an older Turncrafter lathe and yesterday when I was moving it I bumped it against my jointer. Now today when I went to use it, it didn't turn on right away when I flipped the switch. Then I clicked it on and off a few times and it worked. After about a dozen more on and offs it stopped working again. At time it seemed like it wanted to go but didn't.

My initial thought is that I jarred the switch. Anyone know how I can get a replacement, or have any other ideas on what the issue could be?

Of course if it is broken I could always try and up grade to a Powermatic 3520B....

Thanks,
Derek

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jocat54

If it is the switch there would be a lot of ways around it--hard wire the switch (do away with the switch) and use a surge protector strip with a switch or you could mount a regular house switch in a box on outside of lathe ect. ect. Guessing it could also be a capacitor. Just some thoughts.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Mine started acting up the same way roughly . Sometimes there was a delay after I turned it on , then eventually didn't turn on at all . I took the switch off and opened it up . I took the two copper strips out and decreased the bend in them so they would make contact with the terminals when the switch is moved to the on position . Fixed it !

Dvoigt

Good new and bad.
Good news: it was the switch. I took it apart and bent the tabs and it works now. Thanks for the tip!

Bad news: I can't go and buy a new lathe now... I'll just keep saving for a gaint lathe one day.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Good new and bad.
Good news: it was the switch. I took it apart and bent the tabs and it works now. Thanks for the tip!

Bad news: I can't go and buy a new lathe now... I'll just keep saving for a gaint lathe one day.
You are welcome . :good: You always have the option to put it back the way it was . :wink:

PenMan1

Good new and bad.

Or... you could tell SWMBO "well this lathe is on its last leg...I guess I could keep it AND ONLY use it run the Beall polisher... But that means I have to have a new turning lathe... Oh well, maybe buying a new lathe will put some factory workers back to work.""":biggrin:

That has worked for me! YMMV!

Top Bottom