Trimming irregular twisted blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

tdibiasio

I have a number of cherry burl blanks that I cut to 1" x 1" x 6" before drying. After drying they have twisted up pretty good and I would like to trim to a more usable shape. I was wondering what procedure would be best suited for this task. I own all of the major woodworking machines such as cabinet saw, bandsaw, jointer, planer...etc Any suggestion for a sled or technique would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

louisbry

Hard to tell without pictures but I think I would cut to length and try to drill dead center taking into account the irregular shape and proceed with the remaining pen making steps like I would with a normal straight blank. Good luck.

GaryMGg

I presume the've twisted along the 6" length and probably are corkscrewing so they're no longer 1" x 1"
Own a handsaw? [;)]
Unless you milled a ton of them, it may be the fastest way and is likely to be the safest.

However, IF I were to do this by machine, I'd use a tablesaw, a dedicated sled with a
destaco (sp?) clamp coming down over the middle of the blank from a fence and rip 'em straight
again. You'll likely have to shim each blank individually on the underside to get two square edges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom