Trend Airshield

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kentonjm

After a fairly full weekend of turning last week I definitely felt the effects of the dust. I do have a dust hood on the back of the lathe but it does not really catch that much but it helps. I admit I do not always wear my P100 3M respirator as its very bulky under the face shield.

I am now more seriously considering the Trend Airshield. It is pricey but so are my lungs. I have heard various pros and cons over the trend and am looking for some feedback from recent purchasers also what else you may have considered i.e. is there any other reasonable competition to the trend.

Thanks folks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

I have a Trend and it works very well. My biggest complaint is the weight. I generally use it when I am sanding or turning something like antler. It is fine when you use it for short periods of time. My neck will start hurting if I am working on something like a bowl where I am using for longer periods of time.

Skie_M

Other possible solutions are .... cheap box-fan air filters!

Point a cheap 20-inch box fan or two in your direction from behind (to push dust away from you) ... on the back of the fan you just slap a cheap furnace filter to keep the air being pushed towards you clean, and circulate the dirty air away from you to be cleaned. The filters can be had for under 2 bucks apiece, if you shop around.

KenV

Jon,

There is really no cheap way to avoid inhaling dust. The really fine stuff that does not like to come out once it is in.

I looked hard at the 3M/Racal models. They are OSHA and other alphabet certified and priced accordingly. These are the white ones the pros wear.

2nd tier was the Trend Airstream Pro. Pretty good especially if exposure is a few hours a week. That is where I bought. Be sure to get the smart charger with it.

You will also need to stock replacement filters. Like sandpaper, they are a consumable.

jttheclockman

Jon I have an original Trend and use it very little. It does work but when I need it I always have to charge the batteries and that can be a down fall. I do not do many bowls at all and most things are so small I can direct my dust collector very easily or adapt a device to do this.

My question to you is why do you think you need one??? Is this for lathe work??? What kind of lathe work are we talking about. ?/ If you are using for making pens you are wasting your money. If you are using to sand large bowls, turn wet and spalted fungus rotted wood, then it has merit.

You can do more with a dust collector and proper set up than any other thing in the shop. Remember when you get done sanding that bowl the first thing you do is take the mask off. The dust did not go away. That dust will be in the air long after you walk out the shop. You need that backup mask to further keep your lungs protected. Plus a good air filtration system will help. Any device you add to collect dust and not just blow it around like a fan will be a plus.

I mention this because this may be something you may want to explore also. :)

duncsuss

The only downside I've experienced with the Trend Airshield is that the intake is on the forehead, so CA fumes are pulled in and blow straight into my face.

For sanding and turning operations, I'm very happy with it. The weight doesn't bother me at all.

Recently I got an excellent deal on a battery/fan/belt kit for the 3M Versaflo, bought the helmet and air feed tube from Zoro tools. That's become my standard turning gear now, but when the battery is charging I use the Trend.

Curly

I had a Racel (now 3M) air helmet years ago but with the batteries at that time not lasting very long and being expensive along with the weight being hard on my bad neck I stopped using it. Now I use a 3M 6000 series full face respirator. Still a little heavier than I would like but better. They can also be hood up to a air supplied system but are not cheap.

A good dust collection system is still the best. Capture the dust at the source.

Magicbob

I use a Resp-o-rator and a dust collector.
I like the fact that the filters are behind my head and it fits under the face mask very well.
I am allergic to CA, and never have any problems as long as I use this setup.

TonyL

I had a Racel (now 3M) air helmet years ago but with the batteries at that time not lasting very long and being expensive along with the weight being hard on my bad neck I stopped using it. Now I use a 3M 6000 series full face respirator. Still a little heavier than I would like but better. They can also be hood up to a air supplied system but are not cheap.

A good dust collection system is still the best. Capture the dust at the source.

Hi Pete: I see prices that range from 180 to over 400. What are they supposed to cost? Thank you.

TonyL

Jon,

There is really no cheap way to avoid inhaling dust. The really fine stuff that does not like to come out once it is in.

I looked hard at the 3M/Racal models. They are OSHA and other alphabet certified and priced accordingly. These are the white ones the pros wear.

2nd tier was the Trend Airstream Pro. Pretty good especially if exposure is a few hours a week. That is where I bought. Be sure to get the smart charger with it.

You will also need to stock replacement filters. Like sandpaper, they are a consumable.

This one Ken?: https://www.woodcraft.com/search?ut...airshield pro&utm_content=Trend Airshield Pro

Curly

Hi Pete: I see prices that range from 180 to over 400. What are they supposed to cost? Thank you.

Here are some sources in the US that are less. Shop around including local industrial suppliers.

https://www.uline.com/BL_992/3M-Full-Face-Respirators

https://www.amazon.com/3M-6700-Face...pons&keywords=3m+6000+series+respirator&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Respirato...717&sr=8-7&keywords=3m+6000+series+respirator

https://www.amazon.com/RTS6800-6000...74&sr=8-17&keywords=3m+6000+series+respirator

Ebay have lots too.

You still have to get the correct cartridges, or dust filters etc. to go with them.

MTViper

I have a fan similar to this one: https://www.samsclub.com/sams/pivoting-utlity-fan/prod8670795.ip?xid=plp:product:1:2 that sits on a high shelf behind my lathe. When I'm turning or sanding, it blows over my right shoulder and deposits the fine dusts and chips on the garage door. Keeps it out of my breathing zone. I don't even smell the CA fumes.

When I took a HAZWOPER course several years ago, the instructor said "the solution to pollution is dilution". Clean air in, dirty air out, works for me.

kentonjm

Thanks for the input thus far.

To answer some of your questions

1. I do have a full DC system in my shop and an air filtration unit.

2. I am not too concerned with smaller turnings on my small lathe as that is reserved primarily for pens and bottle stoppers. I use the PSI clear hood which works very well.

3. I turn a number of larger items on my large lathe and DC on there is a really tough proposition. The few days that made me more strongly consider this issue I was turning, pepper mills, rolling pins and bowls. During the roughing out of larger spindles blanks, chips and dust go everywhere. I have yet to find a DC solutions for this type of work that works well but I am open to all ideas. You definitely want a face shield when doing this.

So even with a dust hood that helps somewhat and my air filtration system working to keep as much as possible from recirculating around the shop whatever is generated right by you face is going to be breathed in. Just blowing it somewhere else with a fan really doesnt cut it.

As it happens a new video from Mike Waldt who I subscribe to on Youtube was on the JSP powercap. this is another powered respirator/shield and looks promising. It does not seem to be distributed in the US but I do have a question in to the UK manufacturer about shipping here. Will let you guys know when I get an answer.

Curly

What kind of DC? As in horse power, what kind of bags or filters? Is it in the shop or outside it in another room or shed? Ducts 4" or 6"? Length of ducts, hose and number of elbows? Cyclone or barrel separator?

In a nutshell as a minimum you need at least 3 hp, short runs of 6" ducting with minimal hose and elbows, exhausting or mounted outside. If you can't exhaust outside in some way due to heat or cooling then you need to seal the DC from the intake to the filters and get US made industrial quality cartridges like those made by Wynn. Soon as we have the money set aside I'll be ordering a ClearVue Max Cyclone and filter through a dozen Donaldson Torit cartridge filters I have. You need to capture a lot of air to get the fine stuff that gets past the nose hair.

Rick_G

I've had my trend for a couple years now and am happy with it. When I first got it the headband inside was a grey plastic and it broke after about 4 uses. I sent a email to trend in Britain and they knew about the problem and had replaced it with a different type of plastic. The had the U.S. distributor send me a replacement free of charge and it is a black plastic. No problems with it so far.
When sanding I use the trend, a shop airfilter that hangs on the ceiling and continually recirculates and filters the air in the shop. I also use a shop vac. with a hepa filter and a cyclone unit in line. The inlet is as close as I can get it to what ever I am sanding. If small stuff like pens usually within an inch and with small bowls as close as I can. I can see the stream of dust getting sucked in which is keeping down what is going into the shop air.
I wore hard hats for years so while heavier the weight doesn't bother me much although I am considering rewiring the battery pack so I can drop the battery in the pocket of my turning smock which is at the back. I don't have a smart charger but I picked up a light timer which uses pins to set the on and off times. I removed the pin that turns the power on and set the off pin so it turns the power off after 18 hours.
Would I buy another? Unless something better and cheaper comes out yes. I like the flow of clean air over my face especially in the summer which not only keeps my face cool but prevents the mask from fogging up.

wm460

Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia,0860.
I use a Trend Air shield pro when I turn bowls etc.
The one concern I had before I bought it was the if the air that blows onto you face would be too hot, I live in the centre of Aust in middle of a desert where the temp is over 100°F for a lot of the year.
I found my fears unfounded, once you get used to the weight on your head you wont notice it.

Top Bottom