Tray stand for Micromesh finishing, on the lathe.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KBs Pensnmore

This is a tray stand I made for finishing my pens with Micromesh, to save water getting onto the lathe bed. The tray is what the meat comes in from the supermarket, so they are readily available, when it gets dirty throw it out and grab another.
The wooden base is made from MDF, you can choose what ever you like/have at hand.
From right to left
Underside details, where it goes into the banjo.
Underside pic of how it sits on the banjo.
In position, ready to use.
Hope this makes life easier, no more covering the lathe bed with towels, sheets, what ever you use.
Kryn

Attachments

• DSCF0331.jpg
    DSCF0331.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 433
  • DSCF0330.jpg
    DSCF0330.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 387
  • DSCF0329.jpg
    DSCF0329.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 374
  • DSCF0328.jpg
    DSCF0328.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

Did we forget a picture. By the way, I use a blanket from a Chief 15 on my lathe bed when I wet sand.

Skie_M

Use the attachment tool (the paperclip) to load your pictures ... and then copy/paste their locations from inside the attachment tool to display them in the thread.

By the way, what I use for the same function is a half-sheet of craft foam. I CA glued a pair of small round neodymium magnets to it, and it reliably sticks to my lathe bed to protect it from flung moisture and finishes, ect ... When I don't need it on the lathe bed, it sticks to one of the legs of my lathe stand, out of the way. If it gets dirty, a quick wash in the sink is all it needs! :)

Herb G

I had an old timer show me a neat trick a long time ago.
Know what a Pampers or a Depends is?

Yep, an absorbent diaper. When moisture hits it, it soaks it up like a sponge & turns it into a gel.
He figured a box of Pampers was $10 or so, plenty cheap to protect his $4500 lathe.
And he was right as rain.:tongue:

CREID

I had an old timer show me a neat trick a long time ago.
Know what a Pampers or a Depends is?

Yep, an absorbent diaper. When moisture hits it, it soaks it up like a sponge & turns it into a gel.
He figured a box of Pampers was $10 or so, plenty cheap to protect his $4500 lathe.
And he was right as rain.:tongue:

You should never talk about old timers and Depends in the same conversation. :eek::biggrin:

MTViper

I quit wet sanding several years ago, but when I did, I used blue shop towels. I got some a package of cheap round magnets at Harbor Freight. I put a couple of layers of shop towels under my work and used magnets on the head and tail stocks to hold it in place. I still use this when I do a CA finish. Works like a charm.

dogcatcher

I use a cookie baking tray with magnets epoxied on the bottom. In the tray I have a few layers of paper towels. Takes a second to lay it in the ways, it stays in place and catches all of the drips. When I finish I stick on the shelf, water, mess and everything. By the next time I use it, it has dried out, I do the same thing. The same towels will be used over and over.

Curly

Holy smokes Kryn! You must have some big meat down there. A good idea that gets a little more use out of all the packaging our lives are full of.

I've used some of the suggested above although I don't see Chuck's famous pink shop towel.:roll eyes:

To expand on the diaper and it's variants. Puppy pee pads from the pet store work well, are cheaper than the diapers in the back of your closet, come in a number of sizes to fit any lathe, and won't embarrass you when a shop visitor comes in and sees them.

The looks you get when there are diapers and pink towels in the shop :eek:.................. well just ask Chuck. :biggrin:

Rockytime

Did we forget a picture. By the way, I use a blanket from a Chief 15 on my lathe bed when I wet sand.

Are you talking about a Chief printing press? I sold my printing plant 17 years ago. When I left I brought several 26" blankets home with me. I use them for lots of things like drawer liners, covering work benches etc.

Skie_M

Holy smokes Kryn! You must have some big meat down there. A good idea that gets a little more use out of all the packaging our lives are full of. ...

Well, I guess you haven't shopped recently at the Wal-Mart. You can get the family size pack of breakfast chops, and it comes in a similar clear topped black plastic package that is about 14" wide x 18" long x 2.5" deep.

CREID

Are you talking about a Chief printing press? I sold my printing plant 17 years ago. When I left I brought several 26" blankets home with me. I use them for lots of things like drawer liners, covering work benches etc.

Yep, most of my career was in flexo, but in the first 6 or 7 years I made both offset and flexo. I worked in shipping for a couple years and cut and punched a lot of chief 15 and multilith 1250 blankets. We also sold David M blankets for all presses.

Curly

Well, I guess you haven't shopped recently at the Wal-Mart. You can get the family size pack of breakfast chops, and it comes in a similar clear topped black plastic package that is about 14" wide x 18" long x 2.5" deep.

Without getting political or trying to be offensive, you couldn't drag me into a Walmart to save my life. My preference is to buy from small local stores and markets selling locally sourced products rather than the multinational ones that sell by the pallet. I know I'm in the minority and wish we could go back in time and buy from meat shops, bakery's and green groceries. You can toss hardware stores that sold screws and bolts by weight too. I know it will never happen but a man can dream eh. ;)

Skie_M

I miss the old butcher shops for sure ....

Nowadays, the only way to get any kind of wild game processed around here is to know somebody with a converted garage or shed who can handle it ... and they'll charge a few legs at least (trade meat for processing).

All the little stores got pushed out by the big box stores. Wal-mart isn't the only chain to blame on this score, they're just the biggest target. K-mart, Country mart, Save-a-lot, and many more are out there selling things by the pallet load for budget minded families.

howsitwork

Like the idea of cookie tray with magnets and towel. I use a similar system in the tray on my metal work lathe to safe time cleaning up ( and fingers) afterwards.

Catheter tube is really good for draining oil as well ( unused of course!)

Cheers Ian

eharri446

You DO NOT want to get a used catheter tube the hard way. They are the most uncomfortable things that I have ever had the unpleasant experience to run into.

TonyL

This is not nearly as well-planned and large as the OP's (nice design BTW), but this may be a quick way of approximating what he did. I bought it on-sale to hold my chisel, but it may be used in a similar fashion:

Turning Accessories - Shop

Top Bottom