Tools to hold blanks for drilling

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jamespz03

What do you use to hold blanks when drilling on a press and when barrel trimming?

I'm embarrassed to say that I simply hold them in my hands. My hands are obviously getting beat up. I don't want to spend a ton of money on something but I do need a better alternative. I tried using a clamp but it doesn't lay perfectly flat so it impedes making straight holes and therefore straight trimming. Is there something in the $20 range that will help me or am I looking at those $80 pen holders/clamps?

Suggestions are appreciated and sorry for the dumb question.

Thanks,
James

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I use one of those Vise-Grip looking pliers from PSI that has the jaws made to hold blanks. I have also used a different pair of pliers that I dipped in liquid plastic to hold the blanks. Most of the time I just hold it in my hand, too!

Paul in OKC

Cut a couple of V notches in 2 2x4's and put a cheap hinge on the end. IF you have a table saw, or access to one you can make a jig pretty easily. Put a space in the 2x's to accommodate approximate blank size.

Reactions: ALA

monophoto

I used a wooden screw clamp from Harbor Freight when I drilled blanks on the drill press.

But I have come to believe that drilling on the lathe is better than drilling with a drill press.

Reactions: ALA

jimmyz

I drill on the lathe with a four jaw chuck. If the blank is square and you
line up the bit closely, you can get a nice hole. Used to drill on the lathe
with a mill but wasn't always able to get the blank hole exactly like I wanted it. Other things mentioned above work well too.

For squaring, I use a disk sander to get it close and then a pen mill to finish the last little bit.

geoffholden

I recently made this jig from some scrap 2x2. It probably would've been better with a hinge on one end, but I didn't have one on hand.
8156d33bb91f3906718d0702cfdc11a0.jpg

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I made a simple jig something like this to drill pen blanks on my drill press when I first got started. I've since acquired a nice pen blank vise, but I still use the jig to drill stopper blanks and other things that don't fit in the pen blank vise.

Attachments

• blank clamp.jpg
    blank clamp.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 204

gtriever

I built the same jig as Edgar has shown above, but since then I've purchased and use PSI's Dedicated Pen Drilling Chuck. I'm well pleased with it.

Last edited:

dogcatcher

I had an extra chuck, I mounted it on a 12x12 piece of plywood that was glued up from 2 pieces of 3/4" thick plywood. So it is 12x12x1.5 high. In the center I drilled and inset a 1.25 inch long 1-8 bolt with the thread sticking up. The chuck screwed down on the bolt. The chuck then centered under the quill of the drill press. Then clamped to the drill press table. Drop the blank in the chuck, tighten and drill, loosen and remove, works like the lathe except it is vertical. Works great with a tommy bar chuck, stinkc with a keyed chuck.

dcrichlow

A lot of times i simply use a pair of channel locks for trimming with a chunk of wood for a base.I grab from one bin and dump in another. I use these because they are quick and easy when doing the number of blanks I go through. For drilling I do it on the lathe mostly.

Jamespz03

Thanks for the suggestions; I think I'll try to make the 2x4 thingamabob this weekend. I don't want to drill on the lathe because I don't think it will align very well. PSI will never see another dollar for me but I like that vise you mentioned. Thank you all.

I read that really fast and did a double take and then realized my reading error.. :) ...

I made a jig similar to Edgar's for drilling cork rings.

Last edited:

gtriever

James, I have the same lathe as you if I'm reading between the lines correctly - HF 65345? If so, there's no problem in drilling centered holes. Just center the bit and take your time.

Jamespz03

James, I have the same lathe as you if I'm reading between the lines correctly - HF 65345? If so, there's no problem in drilling centered holes. Just center the bit and take your time.

Negative Ghostrider, I bought the PSI. I appreciate the reply though, thanks.

kitestir

I use a drill press table I got at harbor freight for $15. It has 2 t tracks and a fence. I use a quick clamp and clamp the blank to the fence. Work pretty well for the price and it can be used for other stuff!

magpens

You can't beat the simple clamps by Geoff and Edgar shown above for economy and effectiveness.

Some people, including me back when I started, think you have to spend $60+ for a drilling vise but you don't.

eharri446

I bought a pen drilling vice and when I still could not drill straight, I got the Nova Pen Plus jaws to mount on my Nova G3 chuck. I still have occasions when thing will not drill right down the middle, but those are getting fewer and fewer since I stopped using brad point drill bits. I used the standard drill bits and take my time, letting everything cool down as I go.

Top Bottom