Tool storage on/for P3520?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Warren White

First off, I don't have a 3520, but I do have a 2020; same profile, just a different length.

I am struggling, looking for ideas for on-board turning tool storage ideas. I would really appreciate ideas, pictures, etc.

The lathe came with a metal plate that bolts on the end of the lathe for storing some things, but I have about 10 turning tools that I would like to have right with the lathe.

HELP!

Thank you!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Warren White

Clarification

I apologize for not being clear. I was talking about a Powermatic P3520 lathe. My P2020 has the same profile, but a shorter bed. My lathe is pictured below.

I am looking for ideas for storing turning tools either under the bed of the lathe or on the ends with some sort of add-on rack.

Attachments

• 1_13_16.jpg
    1_13_16.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 143

Skie_M

The legs look like they are tailor made to accept a pre-cut 1x8 or 1x10 shelf .... you could mount a rack that holds your lathe chisels handle-first towards you at an easily accessible angle. You could also drill holes and cut slots in it to hold additional lathe accessories without damaging them, such as centers, chucks, misc tools and accessories that you need from time to time .... screwdrivers, tommy bars, chuck keys, and parting tools!

BSea

The legs look like they are tailor made to accept a pre-cut 1x8 or 1x10 shelf .... you could mount a rack that holds your lathe chisels handle-first towards you at an easily accessible angle. You could also drill holes and cut slots in it to hold additional lathe accessories without damaging them, such as centers, chucks, misc tools and accessories that you need from time to time .... screwdrivers, tommy bars, chuck keys, and parting tools!

I've see pictures of this done on a 3520. Use pvc pipe to holdo the tool & protect the edge.

Skie_M

Here you. Look at post 12.

lathe tool holder

While the overall design is awesome, the tubes were much too long for most of his tools, which would mean you would have to stick your fingers down into the pipe to reach the tool handle and pull it out. I would suggest blocking the end of the pipe (with wood) to ensure that a little of the handle is always going to be sticking out far enough for you to grab it, or make the pipes uniformly shorter to achieve the same purpose.

Also, keep in mind that if those pipes are blocked on the bottom, they will start to fill with chips and dust and lathe turnings, and you'll need to empty them occasionally .... unless you cut a clearing hole on the UNDERSIDE of each tube to allow that stuff to fall out harmlessly while still holding your tools properly.

BSea

I don't disagree. I was using my phone when I found that picture, and didn't notice the diameter of the PVC used. I use PVC also, but in different diameters, so all my handles are exposed above the PVC. Just the tool is inside the PVC. The way my tools hang inside the PVC, nothing touches the tip of my tools. My tools are on a mobile table I used for my old lathe, and now I use for my metal lathe.

Another problem with using the larger PVC is that wood shavings will go down inside the tubes. (as mentioned above).

Since the PM 2020 is basically stationary, I wonder if the op would be better off with his tools on a wall, or a mobile base. Even a mobile base that could be stored under the lathe when not in use.

Last edited:

Warren White

My tool storage solutions

Thank you all for the suggestions and photos. I have just completed getting my lathe tools stored on my Powermatic P2020.

As you can see in the attached pictures, I first did an outboard tool rack, which will hold my larger tools, one that is not ferrous (and therefore won't work on my rack that holds the tools with two magnetic bars), and the large tool rest that came with the Powermatic.

The second and third pictures show the way I made storage for my other turning tools, behind which there is a place for odds and ends.

I think this will fill my needs quite well.

Your thoughts and comments are most welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0604.jpg
    IMG_0604.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0663.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0662 (1).jpg
    IMG_0662 (1).jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 200
Top Bottom