Tool Size

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghansen4

What length of handles do you like to use when turning pens? I primarily use a replaceable carbide cutter with an extra long handle. (I purchased it before I started making pens.) I'm wondering how the experience differs with the short mini handles marketed specifically for pen turning. Is it worth investing in a set of those if I'm going to continue to focus on pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

FWIW, I started with and still have the Harbor Freight set from several years ago. Handles are about 10 inches. If I did a lot of large turnings like bowls, hollow forms, then I would skip a drink and buy tools with longer handles. IMHO, turning pens wouldn't necessarily warrant buying the mini tools. Other experienced pen makers will chime in here.
I did invest in a Rikon low speed grinder and Wolverine Grinding Jig.

Magicbob

I use both.
I like the Magical Skew with the short handle for pens, and I use a long handle on other things

Marcros

my homemade carbide tool is short. Whole length- shaft plus handle is about 8". I use it mainly for pens, but it does get used for some rolling pins and pepper grinders.

The other tool that I tend to use on the same items is the 3/8" bedan. That is longer- I would guess that the handle itself is about 12".

Marcros

I wouldn't necessarily "invest" in a set with different sized handles, but carbide tools are simple to make (even I can make them and I have no metalworking experience at all). You could make a short, medium and a long for a few bucks and try them out. if you don't like, then salvage the cutter and start again.

stonepecker

With carbide, you can make your own so easy for a few dollars and turn your own handles. The cutter will fit any length. I even made one out of aluminum square stock, just to try. It is very light and forces me to make very light cuts. I wont make another.

Marmotjr

I use both.
I like the Magical Skew with the short handle for pens, and I use a long handle on other things

But I do believe you are biased ;)

I found the benjamins best 3 pc pen turning set on amazon to be just the right size for me. Skew, gouge, parting tool. A year of teaching myself freehand sharpening has left the gouge nothing but a nub, but the parting tool and skew see lots of use on a variety of projects, albeit the skew is quickly undersized for many projects.

dogcatcher

I started with full size tools in 1961, the first time I saw the small "pen size" chisels, I had to try them. They were sharpened one time, and took up space in the shop until I gave them to our son. Even before the mini sets made it to the market, I had made smaller sized skews and some gouges, but they had full size handles and the majority of the steel shaft was also full sized 1/2" steel rods with small tool bits on the end.

OZturner

Several years ago, I was given a set of Pen Turning Chisels, and I found that they were Too Light for my liking.
I prefer to use full size, full weight Chisels, and Handles. Their Mass, keeps them solidly on the tool rest and their section size prevents them from Chattering and Flexing.
By maintaining their Sharpness, they cut easily in the required position and direction.
The standard length of the Handles and Chisel, means that I can hold the Chisel, at the side of my body, and with just a sway of moving my body, I can traverse the pen blank.
Also I taught myself, by plenty of repetition, to be able to turn left handed as well as my natural right handed, this I found to be of great benefit working in the relatively confined area of a Pen Blank, and using Full Sized Chisels.
I virtually only use a Roughing Gouge, and Skew Chisel, for all materials with my Pen Turning and on Rare Occasions, I may use a Detail Gouge.
Brian.

Top Bottom