Tool set recommendations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brailsmt

I just closed on my house, contracted with the electrician, and have placed an order for all my shop tools. I will finally be moving away from carbide only tools, with a grinder, sharpening jig, and chisels. I'm just looking out at amazon for the highest rated sets, and figured this crowd is most likely a much better resource. I have only a Robert Sorby parting tool that I've been sharpening with a diamond file. I know I need to get HSS, any brands I should gravitate towards or stay away from?

Sharpening jig recommendations are also welcome, based on my reading, I was planning on purchasing the wolverine jigs, but I'm open to recommendations on sharpening jigs as well.

EDIT: I intend to continue to turn pens, and add to my repertoire things like bowls, plates, boxes, spindles, etc... So I'm looking for a general purpose set of tools and not pen turning specific tools, i.e. mini tools aren't really what I'm looking for, unless they are really just the best for the small precision work required for pens.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

It does cost a bit more than what you are looking at but I bought a Sorby ProEdge system. No regrets at all!

brailsmt

It does cost a bit more than what you are looking at but I bought a Sorby ProEdge system. No regrets at all!

Wait? Who mentioned price range, besides reasonable? I'm looking for a quality set of tools that will last me. The last thing I want to do is skimp on tool quality. I have a budget, but I'd happily delay other expenses for a higher quality tool now that will outlive a lower quality tool.

Last edited:

JimB

First I would not recommend buying a set. You will get tools you either don't need or don't like. Buy them individually. Next, keep in mind you may not want all your tools from the same company. Not all brands make all tools in all sizes so you may need to buy different brands for what you want. Third, what makes one brand better or different from another isn't just the steel. The shape of the flute in bowl gouges and Spindle gouges can make a difference between brands as well as size of the tools available and other things.

Sorby makes a good M2 HSS tool. There are other brands with similar quality steel. Thompson Tools makes an excellent tool and it is from V10 Steel and will hold an edge very long. Carter and Son uses M42 steel and that is (I think) comparable to Thompson tools. I believe Oneway also has tools of M42. There is also M4 Steel but I don't know who uses that. The different steels will take the edge differently and will last differently.

I have a wide range of brands including Harbor Freight, Benjamin's Best, Craftsman, Henry Taylor, Woodriver, Sorby and Thompson. I have multiple tools from each of those brands. I currently have a Carter and Son tool that a vendor loaned me to try. Each brand and tool has it's positives and negatives.

The best thing you can do is get together with other Turners and try their tools. That will tell you what you like and what you don't like.

For sharpening I use a Wolverine Jig and CBN wheels (Woodturning Wonders). I also have a second grinder with AO wheels and a Wolverine jig that I use for certain tools. I know people with other brands like the Wolverine and also some with Sorby Pro Edge or homemade belt system. Each has its benefits and just like tools, trying them will tell you what you like.

Wildman

Another vote for not buying tool sets. Do recommend getting couple of free tool catalogs: Both Craft Supplies (Dayacon kits) & Packard (PSI reseller) listed in the vendors link here.
https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/ and Packard Woodworks: The Woodturner's Source

Yes both sites as well as others have online presence. You can see if get a discount for buying more than one tool from checking catalog. Doesn't hurt to ask if possible from other vendors as well. Also shop sales.

Agree with buying full size tools but only as you need them. Buying sets while seems easy you end up with just basic tools. Example don't really need scraper for turning spindle but those set usually carry them. Same is true for bowl turning set while scraper okay may find really need heavy duty scrapers for bowl turning.

Simple spindle set merely roughing gouge, 3/8" & 1/2" spindle gouges, and skew chisel. Think already said have a diamond parting tool.

Bowl turning have to pay attention whether vendor sell American or Europe size. My Thompson bowl gouge is 5/8's of an inch diameter of the steel. If buy a Henry Taylor SuperFlute width of the flute not the diameter of the steel so can buy a 1/2" bowl gouge and have a 5/8" tool. So if wanted a 1/2" bowl gouge woud buy a 3/8" gouge, if wanted a 3/8" tool would buy 1/4". Web sites don't always list this info so having these catalog will help a lot.

I could get by with just a 1/2" bowl gouge, but since harvest my own wood for bowl turning and like turning deeper bolws us a 5/8" gouge for roughing and 1/2" for final cuts.

MRDucks2

I guess a part of it is how you approach things, but I did buy a set when a started coming up on 2 years and do not regret it. I bought one of the Harbor Freight sets, but there are others in the same price range. I knew that they were not "Quality" tools and I knew that I would be replacing them.

But, I also knew nothing about turning and they have given me opportunity to try different tools in different ways on the many pieces of pine 2x2 I learned on. They have given me the opportunity to play with edges and grinds and learn from that process. There was a single tool in the set that I never figured out a useful application that met my needs, it will be ground into something else. There are tools still from the set that I grab routinely. And there are tools that I have bought better versions of and tools that I have bought that were not a part of the set.

Would I buy ANOTHER set of any turning tools now, no. But what I have learned in buying what I knew I had designated as a throw away set to learn on has been well worth the $60 spent.

Woodchipper

Another vote for buying separate tools, dictated by what you are going to turn. I bought the HF set of six HSS tools and have only used three of them on rare occasions. They do sharpen decently and I keep them sharp. They should last, for me, a lifetime.

Charlie_W

Grinder Jig....OneWay Wolverine with the Vari-grind jig for the bowl gouges and spindle gouges. I have a 180g CBN wheel on one end and a 80g aluminum oxide on the other side.

Tools....Yes, buy quality. I have a mixed bag of tools ....old Craftsman chisels, WoodRiver(Woodcraft), OneWay, Sorby, SB, D-Way, Ashley Iles, and Thompson. I use all of them for different tasks. I started buying better tools as I gained turning knowledge over the years. I do like the weight and feel of Thompson handles)

Also import is the tool handles. You need to find what fits your hand, is comfortable, and the weight/ balance you like. Some tools you can buy unhandled and make your own...or use in a handle you already have.
There are fittings for tool handles which Twist lock or some with hex screws or simply glue the tool into your own handle. They will come out with some heat from a torch.

Starter set of tools:
1" spindle roughing gouge, 1/2" spindle gouge, 3/8" & 1/2" bowl gouges, flat parting tool (Thompson), thin parting tool, and a couple skews( one traditional, onewith a radius grind, one oval shank)
Then, you will find need for scrapers (some negative rake).....and the list goes on and on and on and on....

Last edited:
I bought my set of HSS tools 40 years ago from Sears. Still have them and still use them exclusively. I bought a Robert Sorby tool some years back and spent quite a bit on it. Gotta say, I hate it. Anybody want it CHEAP plus shipping? I'll stick with my Sears HSS tools any day. They hold an edge, fit my hands perfectly and have created a lot of different items from furniture legs to small bowls and even some pens. I use everyone of them except the scraper, it scares me a bit. So, you've implied that you have a pretty good sized budget for tools. Why not spend some on the tools, or say, SAFETY equipment, that will make your turning easier and safer? I'd be focused on the big ticket items like table saws, drill presses, lathe, drum/disc sander and other hand tools etc. I haven't seen any mention of a good quality vise yet (or maybe I missed it).

Wildman

Bought some of those Craftsman red handle skews & a roughing gouge and still have them. Remember going back and buying 1/2" skew for $12 on sale. See Roy Underhill still uses them for turning. Can still find them for sale on E-bay, not sure anyone should buy them.

Consensus among many turners; "they were not HSS," and I agree! Although enjoyed turning with them, you can buy PSI, Harbor Freight and Hurricane tools actual HSS tools for the same price or less than what some folks asking for those old tools.

Bought some of those Craftsman red handle skews & a roughing gouge and still have them. Remember going back and buying 1/2" skew for $12 on sale. See Roy Underhill still uses them for turning. Can still find them for sale on E-bay, not sure anyone should buy them.

Consensus among many turners; "they were not HSS," and I agree! Although enjoyed turning with them, you can buy PSI, Harbor Freight and Hurricane tools actual HSS tools for the same price or less than what some folks asking for those old tools.

The tools I got at Sears are not the red handled ones. These are made in the USA, have stained dark brown wood handles and are clearly marked "High Speed Steel." I don't remember ever seeing any red handled Sears turning tools and I won't buy much, except for tarps, from Harbor Freight. When I purchased my tools, Sears was still known as having quality hand and power tools. That's changed over time. If the red handled ones are junk, thanks for the info but I could find none on Ebay to compare to mine.

Robert Taylor

Red Handled Tools

The red handled tools are not junk. Pretty sure they are made in USA. they are not high speed steel but carbon steel. They will get sharper than high speed but won't hold an edge as long.

[
QUOTE=wolf creek knives;2015835]

The tools I got at Sears are not the red handled ones. These are made in the USA, have stained dark brown wood handles and are clearly marked "High Speed Steel." I don't remember ever seeing any red handled Sears turning tools and I won't buy much, except for tarps, from Harbor Freight. When I purchased my tools, Sears was still known as having quality hand and power tools. That's changed over time. If the red handled ones are junk, thanks for the info but I could find none on Ebay to compare to mine.[/QUOTE]

Wildman

Started turning early 1990's could walk into any Sears or order from catalog red handle turning tools. They were the only turning tools they sold, wasn't until late 1990's or early 2000's started selling real HSS turning tools.

My first set of tools flea market quality bought from Grizzly which didn't sell any HSS tools back then. So my Sears carbon 1" & 1/2" skews and roughing gouge bought in store were the best that I had. Did buy another 1/2" on sale from sears. Did buy 5/8" HSS Crown bowl gouge from Woodworker's Supply after looking at their spindle lathe. After that Craft Supplies & Packard catalogs where bought Henry Taylor, Sorby, P & N, and few Artisan tools. While still have that Crown bowl gouge replaced it with Thompson 5/8" bowl gouge.

You can still buy carbon steel tools today but they cost as much or more than HSS tools depending upon what and where you buy. If just stating out HSS tools from places already mentioned not a bad idea. Especially if don't know how to sharpen your tools.

Does carbon steel tools cut cleaner than HSS? Answer is yes or no! I found they did very good others disagree. Bottom line regardless of steel used to make a turning tool or how much pay for them, need to resharpen when dull!

Started turning early 1990's could walk into any Sears or order from catalog red handle turning tools. They were the only turning tools they sold, wasn't until late 1990's or early 2000's started selling real HSS turning tools.

Don't know about the 1990's as I got my lathe and tools in 1982 or 83. If you go to Ebay, type "Sears Lathe Tools" in the search box it will take you to a bunch of lathe stuff. Go down a bit and they have a 1988, High Speed Steel, Made in the USA parting tool for sale for under ten bucks. This is probably part of the same set I have. Maybe Sears changed between the 80's and 90's, I don't know, but I've never seen a red handled Sears lathe tool and I can only assume the tools I have are HSS as that's what's stamped on each tool.

Herb G

If anyone wants a set of original carbon steel Craftsman turning tools in the original box they came in, let me know. I would be willing to part with mine.
All of them are in excellent condition.

You'll have to PM me because I probably won't get back to this thread any time soon.

Wildman

HSS tools supposed to be either stamp or labeled Sears catalog said HSS but my tools were neither stamped or label. Grizzly catalog said my first set of turning tools, lady on the phone told me they were not. If look at the parting tool mentioned already won't see a stamp or label.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-...h=item1a76f31769:g:a1AAAOSwLGlcdDdc:rk:3:pf:0

If your Sears Craftsmant turning tool are HSS not going to debate the issue. Mine were not labeled or stamped!

Last edited:
HSS tools supposed to be either stamp or labeled Sears catalog said HSS but my tools were neither stamped or label. Grizzly catalog said my first set of turning tools, lady on the phone told me they were not. If look at the parting tool mentioned already won't see a stamp or label.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-...h=item1a76f31769:g:a1AAAOSwLGlcdDdc:rk:3:pf:0

If your Sears Craftsmant turning tool are HSS not going to debate the issue. Mine were not labeled or stamped!

Not a debate but more a friendly discussion. I hope I didn't offend you or anyone else. My wife says I'm very hard headed and I think my attitude here brought that out. For that I apologize to you.- Semper fi, Tom

brailsmt

Thank you all for the good advice. I keep meaning to come back to this thread and writing up a summary, but I'm so busy ATM. I mainly just do pens for the time being, so I think that is a good place to start. I think I'll scrap the idea of buying a set and instead buy the tools I need for what I do now, and I can add on later when needed. It looks like I'll be shopping for a bowl and spindle gouge first.

brailsmt

Well, thanks to the recommendations here, I did not buy a set. I've been turning pens a lot, and it is reasonable to assume I will continue to do so. So, I decided to go with just a spindle roughing gouge and an oval skew (both Sorby HSS from Woodcraft). I purchased them along with a Rikon 8" grinder and wolverine sharpening jig. Where I find I am missing a tool, I can just use the carbides I have been using for the time being. I suspect a fingernail gouge and scraper are not too far in my future.

Top Bottom