Tool rust and road salt.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

For those that live in areas that use a lot of road salt in the winter, that have wood and metal working machines in the garage. Do you have rust issues from the melted snow and salt on the floor when it dries?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Pete, my road salt puddle is still there. Dried and sticking to the floor like glue.:redface: Although it's been swept several times. If possible, you can epoxy that floor after the concrete cures. That will protect the concrete. But, you've probably already thought of that. Haven't you? :biggrin:

I haven't noticed any affects on anything metal in the garage.

Last edited:

Curly

Pete, my road salt puddle is still there. Dried and sticking to the floor like glue.:redface: Although it's been swept several times. If possible, you can epoxy that floor after the concrete cures. That will protect the concrete. But, you've probably already thought of that. Haven't you? :biggrin: I haven't noticed any affects on anything metal in the garage.

I hadn't thought about the floor but the epoxy will have to wait. I'm going To seal it for now. Dust cyclone system in the shop above is more important to me. ;)

Charlie_W

Just don't store any pool chemicals anywhere near anything metal......everything rusts in their presence.

Don't know about he salt issue.......cars don't fit in my garage.....only tools and stuff.....too much stuff!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Pete, my road salt puddle is still there. Dried and sticking to the floor like glue.:redface: Although it's been swept several times. If possible, you can epoxy that floor after the concrete cures. That will protect the concrete. But, you've probably already thought of that. Haven't you? :biggrin: I haven't noticed any affects on anything metal in the garage.

I hadn't thought about the floor but the epoxy will have to wait. I'm going To seal it for now. Dust cyclone system in the shop above is more important to me. ;)
Pete, I don't believe there would be any concern about the road salt being air born. It is wet and settles on the floor. Unless it's blasted by a fan after it dries. My shop vac works fine, and it is 10 years old. I have a computer and TV in my garage. Everything in my garage works fine, with no affects from the road salt. Although as you already know bare metal is another issue. You keep a coating of oil on the surfaces. I think your shop tools above the garage will not be harmed.

Curly

Sorry Herb my reply was meant as a joke. I should have added a smiley or two. With having to put the metalworking machines in the garage and not upstairs in the shop for space reasons, i'm concerned about rust. It was bad enough on the west coast with just the dampness. Dryer here but Saskatoon loves to salt the roads like I've never experienced before. It would seem my concerns are not founded.

Top Bottom