Tool for Measuring Run-out

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

My lathe and so far my drill press seem fine, but I would like to have a single device (in possible) to measure run-out. What do you like? I see there are many types, qualities, price points etc.

Thank you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
A 0-1 inch dial indicator works just fine. I have both a digital and dial version. I also have a dial test indicator that measures 0-.004 in .0001 for dialing in my lathe chucks but that is over kill for what you want to do.
heres a link from Shars. Lots of places carry them.
shars.com - Dial Test Indicators
Depending on your personal preferences on Chinese verses American or other manufacturers you have a lot to choose from. For your purposes THe chinese ones will work just fine.

TonyL

Thank you. Please pick one for me. I have a decent budget. I also don't know whether dial or digital is best for me. Thank you.

PS. I won't come back and criticize your decision if I don't like it; I am not "that way".
You know better than me; and therefore your decision has to be better than mine.

I have a 1221VS Jet, and a PC 15 inch DP: Porter Cable Product Details for 15" Floor 12-Speed Drill Press - Model # PCB660DP

Thanks!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
here are a couple of suggestions. You will need a base as well
Mini Magnetic Base with .030" .0005 White Face Dial Test Indicator
176 Lbs Holder Power Magnetic Base with 1" .001 White Face Dial Test Indicator
The digital really has no advantages, I prefer the dial since I can judge how far between marks the needle is as opposed to the +/-.005 on the digital.
You can spend more money on a Starrette or Federal and they are better quality but for your purposes these will do. If your going to use it every day in machining then go for the Starrette/ Federal levels.

TonyL

Thank you. And both will work with my lathe and drill press? Which one of the two would you buy?

Paul in OKC

For most things, the one inch travel and magnetic base will suit you well. If you are ever in need of indicating an ID, the dial test indicator is the way to go. So............ You could buy the set from little machine shop (linked previous) and then add the dial test separate or later and use just one mag base.

KenV

I like dial --

Magnetic base provides flexibility to mount on steel/cast-iron tables and lathe ways.

I generally use an appropriate sized rod and plate (or a tool rest for use with making boxes) on the lathe so the banjo becomes the movable base.

Note that you should tram the table on the drill press before starting to play with the dial indicator and making interpretations.

Starting to make measurements sends you down a path towards comparing techniques and equipment and can lead to changes in your processes. The search for precision can become addictive.

for alignment of a vice or such on a mill, I prefer a dial, for runout, either would work, but I think digital would be easier if you have the $$$

Top Bottom