Thoughts on Makita 9404 Belt Sander

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Hi Tony, I don't have that belt sander but every Makita tool I own has been a quality tool that has performed well and without problems for years.
I do like having the 24" belt instead of the 21". Also, the 4" is nice on larger surfaces such as cabinet sides and wood tops. It's weight and amperage indicates it is not a hobby tool but built to last.

I still have and use my first Makita 9.6V cordless drill purchased in 1988. Only replaced the switch...and batteries of course.

Ross W

I've had a Mikita "21 belt sander for close to 20 years. It has been great and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. For me the smaller works well but I'd have no problem going with the 24" either.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have had the 3 x 24 Makita for about 25 years and it is as good today as it was when I got it. I have several Makita tools and they are as tough and long lasting as any tool brand I know or use.

leehljp

Member Liaison
All depends on what you are doing with it. What did you have in mind Tony?? There maybe better tools suited for your needs. That Makita is known for sluggish VS. Porta Cable is a good sander.

The bags on sanders like this are always a problem. Maybe better to hook to a shop vac.

www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-362V-4-...00RFT5YA/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

Where in the world did you get that idea from. I have thought on several occasions of stripping my Makita down and making a drag racer out of it! :biggrin: Seriously, after using different peoples sanders, including PC's, I have always been glad to use my Makita. It is tough and does the job well. One other thing that I like about Japanese tools over all, they all have very good cords that don't deteriorate over time like American made cords and they are longer. USA made quality tools have mediocre and short cords at best.

TonyL

My BIL is factory authorized repair for all professional line brands for over 40 years (and still works and owns his shop). When I asked him, he said when PC was PC and made in the USA, they were the belt sanders to buy. Now he tells me Makita (even though made overseas) for the belt sander. Makita has a walk-in service center 15 miles from my house which makes it convenient to manage repairs. I think it is all a crap shoot to some extent (which is why asked for your experience). I own a 30 year PC laminate trimmer and it is amazing (all metal, made in USA and long cord). I also own an 20 year old PC profile sander and it is also excellent (also a long cord). They must have had surplus cord back then! :)

Thanks for everyone feedback and questions.

jttheclockman

Tony the same thing can be said about Makita. I have a few Makita tools and sanders and routers but they are older tools. I also have some PC sanders planers and routers that I never had a problem with. They too are older tools. Have not bought or had a need to buy many new tools in the last 10 years. What I do go by is the reviews on tools. All wood magazines have reviews of tools and PC came out ahead of Makitas because of the motor and ability to take off and handle tougher boards. For light weight work you can't go wrong with any of the sanders on the market. As I said what you plan on doing with it will count. A portable planer maybe a better choice. If sanding a deck a floor sander maybe a better choice. If sanding boards a drum sander maybe a better choice. If just skimming a board than a orbital sander maybe a better choice. If you are using a belt sander than I assume the job is a big one because there is no other need for it. I have one that has not seen the light of day in who knows how long. I can not even remember the last job I used it on.

By the way Hank I said variable speed. When you slow the speed down the torque is lost on a Makita and bogs down sanding tough woods. This has been mentioned in many of the wood magazines and that is why I said it and that is where I got it from.

I do not make this stuff up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom