A Thin Thin Kerf Table Saw Blade

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vtgaryw

Most thin kerf blades are in the .090" range. I'd like to be able to use some 2mm plastic sheet stock in Celtic Knots and a few other designs, but 2mm is too narrow for a .090" kerf.

Does anyone make a 2mm wide thin kerf blade? It's a hard thing to search for, sometimes it's hard to even find the spec'd kerf size.

Thanks,

Gary

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vtgaryw

Have you looked at what totalsawsolutions.com offers? Micro kerf is a good search term.

You know, I had actually stumbled upon that site, but didn't look too closely since it looked more like it was geared to industrial users.

I just looked around a bit more, a 5/8" arbor 10" blade, 40T has a .061" kerf. A bit smaller than 2mm, but you can do multiple passes. It's $ 184.99. Not sure I want to spend that much.

Thanks,

Gary

Last edited:

Curly

Look at smaller diameter blades. 8", 7 1/2", 7" etc. The smaller blades are thinner and a 7" blade in a 10" saw will still cut at least an inch deep. Enough for pen blanks.

chartle

Look at smaller diameter blades. 8", 7 1/2", 7" etc. The smaller blades are thinner and a 7" blade in a 10" saw will still cut at least an inch deep. Enough for pen blanks.

Yes I have a 7 1/2" 40 tooth blade that's a little under 1.6 mm or 1/16th in old money. Its just a red Freud saw blade from Home Depot that's about $14.

I have no cutting depth issues even with a 1/4" thick sled.

I guy at Rockler said he once bought a 10" blade that cut a slot a dime thickness but only to a 1" depth.

Brian G

I agree with Pete. I use a Diablo 40-tooth, 7-1/4" circular saw blade. It has a 1/6" kerf.

I also use a 56-tooth 7-1/4" non-ferrous/trex blade for cutting aluminum, copper, or brass for knot material.

[edit]

Looks like I agree with Cliff, too.

Last edited:

vtgaryw

After looking at the prices of the 10" think kerf blades, I agree wholeheartedly that using a smaller diameter blade is the way to go.

Thanks, all.

Gary

chartle

I agree with Pete. I use a Diablo 40-tooth, 7-1/4" circular saw blade. It has a 1/6" kerf.

I also use a 56-tooth 7-1/4" non-ferrous/trex blade for cutting aluminum, copper, or brass for knot material.

[edit]

Looks like I agree with Cliff, too.

Just realized mine is also a Diablo. I'm not rich enough for a Freud. :)

There were a few other smaller ones at HD with a 5/8" hole but they didn't look any thinner. I've also looked at Dremel sized saws using a flex shaft but it has no depth of cut when you have to add a sled.

https://www.banggood.com/Drillpro-6...t-For-Rotary-Tool-p-934464.html?rmmds=myorder

Last edited:

gtriever

An alternative you might look at is the Rockwell Bladerunner X2 with their miter and crosscut sled accessory. I have one, and if you take your time it'll deliver a decent cut. It uses t-shank jigsaw blades, which have a kerf width of around 0.05.

vtgaryw

I just dug an old blade out of the archives. It's a DeWalt steel hollow ground planer blade. I used to use this a lot on my Radial Arm saw. It's a nice smooth cutting blade. If you have the patience to sharpen your own blade, they can last a long time, too.

Anyways, I just threw it on the table saw. It cuts exactly a 2mm wide kerf, so a little thinner than the typical 10" thin kerf carbide blade. My 2mm plastic sheets fit perfectly!

But I am going to go out tomorrow and get a thinner smaller diameter blade as well.

Gary

Top Bottom