tap and die set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Most tap and die sets are not fine enough or the right sizes to make the right kind of threads for pens. Its not that you cant use a coarser thread size on some parts but in some cases you cant. We had a list in a thread or two of the recomended sizes most commonly used by the members here. Its hard to find. We may need to start a new one. victornet.com had a good selection of metric taps and dies and I understand you can buy them from them through Amazon although I havent tried that.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
As a start I will list my most used ones. These are single thread not the triple lead sets. I do not recommend anyone buying a triple lead set until they have made a pen or two or more and are darn sure thats what they need and want, And I sell them.
For the cap.
m14x.1
m12 x.75
m10 x.75
the m12 x.75 is the most used size

For the front section. ( the part that holds the nib/feed assembly and is screwed into the pen body.)
m10 x.75
m9 x.75
m8.4 x.75
m8.4 x1

I recommend the m9 x .75 and then the m10 x.75

For the nib/ feed assembly itself.

7.5 x.5 for Jowo size 6 (meisternib.com)
6.5 x .5 for Jowo size 5

7.9 x .6 for Bock (classicnibs.com
6.4 x.6 for bock size 5

M10 x1 for El grande front sections from the kits
M8.4 x1 for the Jr series front sections from the kits.

The nib/ feed assemblies are specific to their brands so you should pick a brand and stick with it. those taps are 30-40 dollars each.

Now there are a dozen variations and there are odd sized american taps that can overlap and fit the metric ones .

MikeL

Mike, When assembling the pen so the wood grain matches the front section and the cap does single thread or triple thread make a difference. Is it just as easy to match the grain back up with either single or triple? Thanks

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
If cap and body alignment are critical to a pattern, a single lead (thread) tap is needed. The triple lead tap can start and end in any of 3 different places. You can keep turning it and trying it until they line up properly but its a pain in the butt.

thewishman

The triple will line up in three separate spots. If you want grain, pattern... to match up, you'll want a single start.

My first large pen, I tried a 13 x .5 tap and die - that means for every full turn, the pen will twist together by .5mm. My thread was just over 3mm long, which means it takes six complete turns to screw the cap on. I got a 13 x 1 tap and die for the next pen.:redface:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have different uses than most of the custom pen makers here and each one of us has a preferred size we like to use for different things. Pick a type either roller ball fountain pen or click pen what ever and design a pen around it. The diameter of the pen will have a lot to do with what size tap and die you will need to use.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Start with a 12mm x .75 for the cap and a 9x.75 for the front section and make a roller ball. You will have to make the nose cone, drill it and then shape it, and then cut the threads using the 9x.75 die. Drill the pen body for the refill and tap that for the nose cone. You will have to drill a couple different sizes or you can just drill it large enough to take the m0 x .75 tap.. You will need to make a plug 9x.75 for the body while you cut the outer threads for the cap. That will be the simplest start. you can make the pen closed end or make cap/finials for the ends and either glue them in or thread them.

Drill sizes, use a 7/16 for the 12 mm and cut the tenon at 11.8mm in diameter. For the 9mm drill the hole with a 21/64th drill bit. cut the tenon 8.8mm for threading.

Last edited:
Top Bottom