Tailstock lock?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jb_pratt

I remember reading a few months back one of the member offering a aftermarket lock for the jet mini tailstock. My problem is this; once I lock down my tailstock with the factory lock, it will noticeably slip, not much but enough to drive me crazy.

I tried searching the archives but I have been unable to find the topic. If anyone remembers this topic or know where I can get the aftermarket tailstock lock I would greatly appreciate any information.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I don't own a Jet mini

But if I remember correctly, under the tail stock and below the ways there is a bolt that you can tighten a little to get a better fit.

I don't do this, but I know a few who do, they let the ways rust a little to help prevent slipage. I couldn't bear to do this myself.

wayneis

There's also a catalog company that sells them if you can't find the person here. I think that it is Lee Valley. If he does surface I want one also though.

Wayne

Czarcastic

JB:
I had the same problem with mine.
I glued some 150 grit sandpaper to the underside of the lathe bed, under the ways, using a spray adhesive. It helps the washer grip better, and still allows the tailstock to move freely when the pressure is released.

its_virgil

There are a couple of people making fixes but the cost is around $25. Here is what I did. Get a piece of metal...3/8 or 1/4 and cut it 2"x3", drill a hole in the center, and tap it with the proper threads. Take the nut off the tailstock locking bolt, remove the washer and screw on the metal part you just made. Set the new part at the proper place and screw the lock nut on and use it to jamb against the new part. My jet's creepy tail stock is now non-creepy.
An easy fix and no cost (if you have the thread tapping tools). I'll be it works without threads. The new part has more gripping surface to grab the bottom of the ways than the origianal washer.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

PS: I have a a picture at home I could post if it will help. Let me know.

\
Originally posted by jb_pratt
<br />I remember reading a few months back one of the member offering a aftermarket lock for the jet mini tailstock. My problem is this; once I lock down my tailstock with the factory lock, it will noticeably slip, not much but enough to drive me crazy.

I tried searching the archives but I have been unable to find the topic. If anyone remembers this topic or know where I can get the aftermarket tailstock lock I would greatly appreciate any information.

Randy_

Originally posted by its_virgil<br />There are a couple of people making fixes but the cost is around $25. Here is what I did. Get a piece of metal...3/8 or 1/4 and cut it 2"x3", drill a hole in the center, and tap it with the proper threads.... My jet's creepy tail stock is now non-creepy. An easy fix and no cost (if you have the thread tapping tools). I'll be(t) it works without threads.

Don: Thanks for the reminder. That project was on my "TODO" list; but got lost in the shuffle. It is now bumped to the top!! Since the original washer is not threaded, I was not planning on threading the replacement. Simplifies the project and saves the cost of a tap. The clamp nut is a nylock nut so I doubt there is much chance of it coming loose. I'm going to use 1/4" steel as that is about what the original is; but would probably use 3/8" stock if I were going to thread the piece. Only thing I worry about is the new clamp "snagging" and causing the tailstock to not move freely.....the original being round wouldn't have this potential problem. I plan to put a slight radius in the corners of the clamp to avoid this problem....hope it works??

jb_pratt

Thank you to all who replied to this topic. I did have one of our members email me directly and sent me the contact information for a gentleman who has manufactured a piece for this specific problem. I thought I'd post his email here incase anyone else is looking for one. robertcox@comcast.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom