Taig Micro Lathe for pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chrisj8221

Just got a used taig micro lathe to turn pens. I was using a lathe with a #1 taper, but that machine died and I have to redo my mandrel setup with the taig as it does not have taper and looks like i will need to purchase an arbor/collet.

Any suggestions from other taig users on how to best set this up before I dive to far into it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cj

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chrisj8221

Thought I might go ahead and share some photos of what i got...

Attachments

• IMG_1914.JPG
    IMG_1914.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 757
  • IMG_1915.JPG
    IMG_1915.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 822
  • IMG_1916.JPG
    IMG_1916.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 1,704

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
they use a 3/4 -16 chuck 3 or 4 jaw, or the er 11 collets? THe collets may be propriatary to Taig. They do make a head stock that uses Er 16 collets.

The also have a tool rest for using turning tools.

plantman

Bought mine used 25 years ago and still use it today for 99% of my pen turning. PSI has a screw-on mandrel #PKM-AL that fits your lathe $17.95. Only thing I have ever replaced on this lathe is the belt. First one lasted me 20 years. Keep an extra mandrel shaft and belt on hand. You won't be sorry for buying this lathe. What other extra items did you receive with the lathe ?? Jim S

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
You can also buy a drill chuck to thread on the tail stock for drilling if one did not come with it. Also a live center for the tailstock would be good.

dogcatcher

The best part is now you can make some of your own tooling. Need a set of bushings? Now you can make your own set. I also have mine set up with a variable speed which came off a Sherline lathe which really up grades the system.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
In order to turn metal beyond using wood turning tools he will need the carriage and tool post, which are not shown in the pictures. Hopefully they came with the lathe. Even if not Taig has the most reasonable prices on their parts.

darrin1200

TonyL

Not to change the direction of your post, but I had no idea there was an American-made lathe for under $2,500, Thank you for your post.

chrisj8221

so, I got this for $300 canadian, WITH a box of about 30 blanks, 8 turning chisels, two chucks (both 3 and 4), a few pen kits, two bottles of wax, etc. etc. When I picked it up the guy kept bring me stuff. I did look on lee valley where he said he bought the lathe and tools. the chisels alone have a canadian value of around $600, the blanks i would guess around $100, the chucks $150, etc. etc.

I feel like i bought a bunch of tools and got the lathe for free:)

It did not come with the metalworking sled, but did include the tool rest.

Glad to hear PSI has a mandrel I can just screw on - gonna check that out as I was looking at having to buy another $120 worth of arbors, etc. here.

KenV

The Taig spring loaded live center is a 60 degree center and replaces the ram and dead center. Works well for pen turning as I used one of my Taigs for several years to turn pens.

A good source for parts and accessories is Nick Carter in Oregon --

The Taig Lathe and Milling Machine

Lots of Taigs around --

PenPal

Couple of pics how mine came I turned a brass solid drilled and tapped it fitted a bearing in front sleeved a brass sleeve stepped into the centre of the bearing voila live centre and mandrel saver in one.Also bought the Taig collet chuck set.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0017-160.JPG
    DSCF0017-160.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 524
  • DSCF0004 [640x480] [640x480].JPG
    DSCF0004 [640x480] [640x480].JPG
    11 KB · Views: 365
  • Taig Tailstock.JPG
    Taig Tailstock.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 811

chrisj8221

ok - so i ordered the mandrel from wood -write and an extra belt from lee valley. now i just need to start to degrease the thing and clean off rust. will post photos when it is all up a running

chrisj8221

ok - so here is what i endud up with. after much cleaning and degreasing i had a micro lathe that needed to be mounted on a base. Rather than go to Lee Valley and pay for a pre-drilled base i used the opportunity to try out some new gloss finish i have been wondering about, but yet i digress.

I got a new belt, mounted it on the board. and added some "adjustement" items such as motor rails and motor height adjustments to try to make sure i can line up different pully speepds without taking up the limited bed length. An electrail switch was instaled also.

I went out and per segestins, got a manderl that screws directly into the micro lathe headstock and a live tailstock. I dont think i much of a fan on the live back, but we will see.

I also took a photo of the tool rack i build to hold all of the goodies I got in this bargain.

thanks for looking.

cj

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 225
  • FullSizeRender-5.jpg
    FullSizeRender-5.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 330
  • FullSizeRender-6.jpg
    FullSizeRender-6.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 303