Tablesaw sled

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

skydiveterp

Columbia - near Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
I looked in the archives and for some reason, I can't find it. Maybe no one posted it. I'm somewhat new at this, but would like to build myself a tablesaw sled. afterward, I will put on jigs such as those to create veneers, pen blanks, etc.

anyway, does anyone have a tutorial on making a tablesaw sled?

also, does anyone know the name of the material that runs in the miter gauge grooves on the table saw? where do I get this material? how do you bond it to the plywood (what I plan to use as the base for the sled)?

thanks.
Lewis
skydiveterp@gmail.com

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Lewis, I got my plans from one of my journals, but it looks much like this one: http://www.canadianhomeworkshop.com/weekend/xcutting.shtml; except I used melamine and milled my own runners from QS white oak. You can modify and add attachments, etc. as needed. This article also tells you one source for your UMHV (?).

alamocdc

That one looks exactly like mine, Ron, except I used melamine like I said above. It and MDF make more stable jigs than plywood... or so I read in one of my mags somewhere. [:D] I've used it for three years now and it's still dead on.

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />That one looks exactly like mine, Ron, except I used melamine like I said above. It and MDF make more stable jigs than plywood... or so I read in one of my mags somewhere. [:D] I've used it for three years now and it's still dead on.

I've read the same thing Bill.

Plywood is pretty stable and holds screws and glue better.
Melamine slides better and need special screws and glue.

I have a few different sized sleds. Ones that handle full size sheet goods to small ones for tiny projects. All made from plywood with hardwood runners. When one of them wears out, I'll probably use melamine. But the oldest sled is at least 10 years old and has more than a few years left.

Bottom line: as long as it works, any sled is a heck of alot safer for your fingers!

Edit in:
Now that I'm thinking of it I have a sled for my planer made out of melamine.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
If you are planning to cut thin pieces with as little waste as possible use the thinnest most stable material you can find for the bed of the sled.
I use 7& 1/4" blads as they are far thinner than standard(10") table saw blades.
By making the sled thicker you limit your depth of cut.
Presently I have 1/2 Baltic birch but the next one will be tempered hard board or Lexan.(1/4")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom