Table Saw Blade

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sleevecc

I have acquired a relatively nice tree burl and have cut it down to 2-3 inch thick slices,, I do not have a Band Saw which I know would be best to cut it into pen blanks, but do have a rather decent Delta table saw but need a new blade.. what would be the best recommended blade for cutting this type of wood? I was looking at this blade from Lowes here

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Steve--

I tend to use the smallest, thinnest, cheapest blade I have for cutting wood with bark. There are stones and grit and dirt in the bark. A Diablo thin kerf for a 7 - 1/4 saw is the cheapest "good cutting" blade but will not reach through a 3 inch slab.

One stone makes a blade trash on a table saw, so go for a budget blade wirh a thin kerf to break down the slabs, then go to something like the diablo.

jttheclockman

I agree with Ken on this and may I also make a strong point about using a tablesaw for cutting wet wood, you will get pinching. You also need to be able to hold that branch as steady as possible. Any twisting and you have kickback. Not the best tool to cut tree branches with. Good luck.

Wingdoctor

That somewhat inexpensive blade will work well. It has fewer teeth than a finish blade and if you hit a rock, look closely before you cut or take a knife and pry the bark off first, the expense will not be as bad as a Forrest blade. Make your pen blank cuts away from the fence, cut piece is on the side of the blade away from from the fence, so that the wood does not kickback. If the wood does start to bind, stop pushing and hold the blank still. If you can turn off the saw with the blade in the bound wood without loosing control of the wood it will be best. Do not try to back the wood out with the saw running. Be careful cutting wet wood.

Top Bottom