SWWWEEEEEET!!! Delta 46-460

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Nice upgrade from the one on the bench -- have looked at this one and it sets a mark that is hard to beat for that size of gear. I get a green tint as I have to stay with the big lathe now that I have one -- I would be pilloried if another lathe came in the door -- agreement with SWMBO is that I would send lathes out the door.

You obviously have good taste in lathes -- many happy hours of spining stuff is in your future.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

Looks like a wonderful treat to yourself. It looks like a really nice lathe and I am envious. I really like my lathe, but this one has some really nice features that I don't have. Have fun turning.

Bree

So far the Delta lathe has exceeded my expectations. I am thrilled with it and equally thrilled with my new Beall triple buffer which is running on my old Excelsior lathe!!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

jimemac66

Sorry to keep being a pain

I bit the bullet and ordered the Delta 46-460. I ended up getting my local Lowe's to order it. Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it. Now to me being a pain in the butt again. I have only been turning a year or so, and that turning is purely me trying to learn. Now that I have spent a little money and will have a decent lathe soon (I hope), I intend to learn to turn pens as well as bowls. I turned a few platters and bowls on my old ElCheapo lathe, but mostly I turned canes and walking sticks. What chuck would you guys recommend for bowl turning and why? And my next question; what do I need to start turning pens and small items such as bottle stoppers and such? I really appreciate any tips or advise you folks might give me.

Jim

Bree

Congrats on the new arrival, Bree! I guess you best be gettin' busy now. ;-)

If trouble were a penny, I'd be a millionaire for all the crap I have gone through with work, people dying, funerals, website problems, getting ripped off by my hosting company, and a ton of other insane things keeping me from getting down in the shop to do what I really want to do.

I have some nice new kits and some good blanks I cut. I just need time!!!
:frown::frown::frown:

dasimm

I bit the bullet and ordered the Delta 46-460. I ended up getting my local Lowe's to order it. Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it. Now to me being a pain in the butt again. I have only been turning a year or so, and that turning is purely me trying to learn. Now that I have spent a little money and will have a decent lathe soon (I hope), I intend to learn to turn pens as well as bowls. I turned a few platters and bowls on my old ElCheapo lathe, but mostly I turned canes and walking sticks. What chuck would you guys recommend for bowl turning and why? And my next question; what do I need to start turning pens and small items such as bottle stoppers and such? I really appreciate any tips or advise you folks might give me.

Jim

my 2 cents:

For bowls up to 15" in diameter - look into the Oneway and/or Vicmarc chucks... They cost more but are well worth the extra coin given the amount of trouble I've had with some of the other vendors. They offer plenty of options but start with the basics and figure out what you need as you go. Much depends on the type of bowls and other things you plan on turning.

As with any turning you are doing - it is absolutely paramount that you invest in some form of sharpening system. The Oneway Wolverine system is probably the least amount of investment but is absolutely fantastic in keeping your tools sharp. There are some other nice alternatives out there (Tormek, Worksharp, Norton, etc...) - just way beyond my budget.

Cheers

nava1uni

I have a Oneway chuck and it is great because you can slowly add additional jaws or make them as you have a need for them. I suggest that you take a turning class or pen turning class. It certainly save time and lots of mistakes. Pen turning is different from bowl turning in that it requires a bit different set up. But is sure a whole lot of fun.

Top Bottom