Sudden rust attack in Garage

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crashgtr

The past few weeks in NJ have been very damp and rainy.
My shop tools are in the garage. I have had my tools in the garage since 2003 when i first started to learn turning.

up until about 2 weeks ago, I never had any issues in the garage with rust of my tools except occasionally on the bed of my table saw, and band saw.

The new rust that showed up ruined all my drill bits that were not in a sea, led case. All my turning parts for mounting work on the lathe such as mandrels, drill chucks, center spurs, dead centers, my center punches, the thread tapping handles.

Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else? I dont think installing a dehumifier in the garage makes sense because we enter the house through the garage so the door opens and closes several times a day.

any suggestions?

Crashgtr

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomtedesco

Never had this problem myself, would the moisture absorbent packs do any good? I know the packs can be re-heated from time to time to rejuvenate them. Phoenix?

PatrickR

I have on a number of occasions had everything metal in the garage get covered in condensation upon leaving the door open. I think it was a combination of outside temperature, inside temperature and the dew point.
My collection of hand tools are stored in a large cabinet with a stereo at the bottom (I leave it on in cold temps as a heat source) That combined with a rust inhibiting pellet has kept them rust free for years.

Fish30114

First off, I am a fan of Boeshield that JT posted a link to--having said that, I had the same issue in my recently built shop expansion under my deck here in the northern burbs of Atlanta. It didn't stop--despite religiously using Boeshield, and even some other products--the best of which was EEZOX https://www.amazon.com/Eezox-Synthe...?ie=UTF8&qid=1540045459&sr=8-1&keywords=eezox

which I have used in a lot of applications and it is great--but still didn't totally stop the rusting-- It only stopped when I got the mini split heating and air unit installed--so using the AC function the last several months cured the issue--because it eliminated moisture from the air--so I would say that making efforts to dehumidify your space is worthwhile, a dehumidifier will work well even if the door into the space is opened frequently during the day. A well known Mfg brand is my recommendation, like this Frigidaire unit: https://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-F...8&qid=1540045618&sr=1-5&keywords=Dehumidifier
--30 pints is like 4 gallons a day BTW so I think the 30 pint version of this one should suit you--from experience try to rig it so that it is hooked up to a drain situation--these units provide shut off after they reach their max water extraction level.
Good luck with getting rid of the moisture--and thereby your rust issues!

Last edited:

TonyL

As you know, I am also in no. GA, use the T-9 but never had the rust. I really just used the 3 product pack to clean, lubricate and protect...not remove rust. Maybe due to the shop/basement being finished (HVAC etc.) Good to know about the other product. I also have a very similar dehumidifier- mine just broke after 11 years. It was a good investment (throws off a lot of heat though).

More4dan

Any pool chemicals in your shop? I used some Muriatic acid to etch some Stainless Steel Damascus about 5 feet outside of my shop and every piece of carbon steel within 15 feet of the shop door rusted overnight. Nasty stuff. Sure etches the Damascus though.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Fish30114

Any pool chemicals in your shop? I used some Muriatic acid to etch some Stainless Steel Damascus about 5 feet outside of my shop and every piece of carbon steel within 15 feet of the shop door rusted overnight. Nasty stuff. Sure etches the Damascus though.

Dan, as a knifmaker I know all about wanting to etch damascus--so I strongly recommend etching with ferric chloride--lot less nasty than Muriatic, definitely slower on stainless Damascus--only done 4 pieces of that--but it etched nicely with FC just took a little longer soak--pulled it out like 10 times to check before I left it long enough and it looked good--just an FYI--not meant to thread heist....

More4dan

Dan, as a knifmaker I know all about wanting to etch damascus--so I strongly recommend etching with ferric chloride--lot less nasty than Muriatic, definitely slower on stainless Damascus--only done 4 pieces of that--but it etched nicely with FC just took a little longer soak--pulled it out like 10 times to check before I left it long enough and it looked good--just an FYI--not meant to thread heist....

I too use FC for carbon Damascus but the muratic gave a darker etch to the stainless. I'll be sure to etch far away from the shop next time. Heat treating makes for a darker etch too.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

I am running a dehumidifier and heater in my garage from September to May here in Newfoundland. Keeps the moisture out and reduces metal corrosion.

Pen Turning on the Rock

MiteyF

This exact same thing happened to me one time. I use muriatic acid for cleaning metal parts before/after welding sometimes, and one time I forgot to cap the jug. Came out the next day to my drill press, welding table and a bunch of other tools COVERED in rust.

Top Bottom