Stripped Quill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marmotjr

Noticed tonight the threads that hold the bolt that tightens the quill down have stripped out. Yes, user error, I may have been applying a bit too much pressure.

TurnCrafter 10" VS.

Suggestions?

For clarification, the female end that is cast into the tail stock has stripped, not the bolt.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Noticed tonight the threads that hold the bolt that tightens the quill down have stripped out. Yes, user error, I may have been applying a bit too much pressure.

TurnCrafter 10" VS.

Suggestions?

For clarification, the female end that is cast into the tail stock has stripped, not the bolt.

Call PSI..ask for Tony...ask if there is any recourse. If it stripped under normal use maybe they can help you.

magpens

You can buy thread repair kits at automotive stores and machine shop supply stores.

You would have to determine the size and pitch of the threads using a thread gauge. .
Then drill an oversize hole and tap it in the quill where stripping occurred (follow instructions that come with the thread repair kit). . Next you would thread into this tapped hole the thread repair spiral and you are done.

Marmotjr

You can buy thread repair kits at automotive stores and machine shop supply stores.

You would have to determine the size and pitch of the threads using a thread gauge. .
Then drill an oversize hole and tap it in the quill where stripping occurred (follow instructions that come with the thread repair kit). . Next you would thread into this tapped hole the thread repair spiral and you are done.

Oh good idea. I was planning on just tapping it out to the next bigger size, and grinding down the tip of the bolt to fit in the slot on the quill. But your idea would allow for a repair hopefully stronger than the original. Thanks!

It'll be a bit before I can undertake this. It'll give me a chance to completely overhaul the tailstock completely, there's some tightness issues in the quill itself too. But I'm mid project now, and there's enough friction in the quill as is to allow me to finish.

Top Bottom