Storage container hack

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

I recently encountered a situation that I suspect many others have also run into - I bought a collet chuck set that came in a molded plastic box with provisions to hold the five collets that came with the set. I also bought a couple of additional collets that I wanted to store safely (meaning store in a place where I can find them when I need them), but the plastic box didn't have provisions for additional collets.

So I modified the box to create storage space for two more collets. The box had a space for a chuck adaptor that is slightly smaller than a collet. I don't need the chuck adaptor, so I set it aside. I used a hole saw to enlarge the hole intended for the adaptor to the diameter of a collet, and also to cut a second hole in a blank area in the box. Now, the holes that are molded to hold collets are shallower than the depth of the box, so I hot-glued some scrap plastic in the new holes to create bottoms at the appropriate depth. I also drilled a couple of 1/4" holes next to the new holes that I cut into the box.

Finally, I wrapped the new collets in kitchen cling film, and set them into the new holes, and then squirted expanding insulating foam through the 1/4" holes to fill the cavity around the new collet holes. The foam cured in the shape of collets. Later, I simply cut away any excess cling film and foam that expanded out through the 1/4" holes.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

What's the name (brand ?) of the expanding insulating foam ?

Sounds like you got quite creative !

monophoto

What's the name (brand ?) of the expanding insulating foam ?

Sounds like you got quite creative !

I used a DAP product, but there are a few other brands. The stuff comes in several varieties that offer a range of expansion characteristics - if you are insulating around a window, you don't want the foam to expand too much because it could distort the window frame. On the other hand, if you are insulating around a foundation penetration you want the foam to expand as much as possible so as to completely fill any voids. The version I happened to have leftover from a honey-do project was a fire-resistent version where the claim to fame was that it was orange in color.

There is an issue with using up a can left over from a previous project - the packaging includes a nozzle that threads onto a nipple on the top of the can. Both the nozzle and the nipple fill with foam, and if that foam isn't cleared, it isn't possible to get the remaining product out of the can. I found that a little acetone will melt away the cured foam in seconds.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

I use deli meat containers for storage. They are clear so I can see what is in them, they stack to save space, they are free. Good idea for your application.

magpens

Thanks, Louie ... I'll look for DAP ... I have a need for some of this to block pests from entering my attic. . The entry is in a very hard to reach spot so I need an aerosol can with a long nozzle-tube.

Top Bottom