Step Up from Delta 46-460?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnGreco

Just my luck- when I finally decide to pull the trigger and get a 46-460 they are sold out Everywhere. Amazon shows a 1-2 month wait.

So I am wondering if I should wait or consider the next step up from the 46-460...except I don't know what that next step up would be. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

Well, a step up from there would be a jump into the bigger guys. Like a Nova DVR, Jet 16-42, etc. You could stick with the same size and go with the Jet 1220 vs, and I think Rikon has a vs now. I think Nova has a vs in the size of the Delta you were looking at. I have the Delta. It has been a great lathe for me, I can't imagine the Jet, Rikon or Nova in that size being much different.

PenMan1

Personally, I think the 46-460 would be worth the wait. I own several pen making lathes and the Delta is, hands down, my favorite. The simple reversing feature and the quite and nearly vibration-free 1 HP motor really add to this package.

I make only pens, razors, and Ocassionally a salt or pepper grinder. If I were interested in making bigger products (such as larger bowls, charger plates, hollow forms, etc), I'd look closely at the Nova DXP line. I have used one of these and it is a nice lathe with lots of features. In my case, I have no interest in bigger products, so the bigger lathe eats up valuable shop space.

Respectfully submitted.

PenMan1

One of the lathes I own is the Rikon VS mini. It is a decent lathe, but by no means an equal of the 46-460, or even the Jet 1014 Vsi. My Rikon runs out ok, but is not as true, lots of tailstock slop, and because of the rear belt change access port, it is impractical to locate this lathe near a wall.

I've only "tinkered" with the Jet 1220 VSi, but it seems very solid. A friend has this lathe and the only problem he has had is that it eats on/off switches, as does my 1014 Vsi.

JohnGreco

Thanks for the feedback. I certainly wasn't expecting a step up to triple the price (yikes!).

Andy- I too am only making pens with the occassional bottle stopper (may get into razors at some point, though I've said that for nearly 2 years now LOL). I'll try waiting and hope the delivery times Amazon shows don't get pushed back further. Thanks.

76winger

I saw a thread last week where a lot of the Delta lathes coming out of Amazon had broken plastic covers. That may be why they're currently unavailable. I saw the floor units at both Woodcraft and Rocker last weekend, so if you need one sooner, maybe check those sources if you haven't already???

monophoto

There was a rumor circulating a few months ago that Delta was restructuring their product line and was discontinuing the 46-460.

PSI's 12" Turncrafter Commander was selected by Fine Woodworking Magazine as a 'best buy' a couple of years ago - it's specification is similar to the 46-460.

Charlie

I purchased the delta 46-460 3 months ago and it came very well packaged. I bought it to replace a Grizzly bench top, nothing wrong with the Grizzly, I just wanted the reverse. Charlie

i just

JohnGreco

I might wait and see if they do restructure the 46-460. On their site they still show it as one of the main splash images though.

I looked at the Turncrafter in the PSI retail shop and wasn't happy with the side-to-side slop in the tailstock.

Brh

FWIW, I am new to turning and ordered a 46-460 based upon advice I received here. Ordered 27 Nov, shipping directly from Delta. Finally delivered this last Tuesday. It was well worth the wait. Seriously nice machine. If you don't need a new lathe RIGHT NOW, I would say order one and accept the long wait.

Regards
Brian

bradh

Thanks for the feedback. I certainly wasn't expecting a step up to triple the price (yikes!).

===trim===.

I doubt the 46-460 is going to be gone for long because of the reason above.
I have been running mine for about 2 years now and love it. The only upgrade I would consider at this time is to buy a second one.

tool-man

I saw a thread last week where a lot of the Delta lathes coming out of Amazon had broken plastic covers. That may be why they're currently unavailable. ...

Late last year there was a damaged freight seller on ebay that sold perhaps 20 "damaged" Delta 46-460s. I got one for cheap. All of his had varying degrees of damage to either the front door that covers the belt compartment, or the plastic housing in back for the switch and electronics.

Mine came in the original box and it had styrofoam for cushioning. For something as heavy as a lathe I think a denser packaging material is needed. If the lathe box bounces around a little in shipping the styrofoam just crushes and breaks into little pieces. That left the plastic parts vulnerable and they got damaged. Every place I looked the plastic parts were back ordered.

Top Bottom