Steady Rest Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Turned Around

I got a small steady rest a little while back and just go tto try it out last night. It works great as far as actual function goes, but it has steel rollers on it. They're small wheels, but I'm worried about them marking up any wood and risking the good finish. Does anybody know where I might be able to get some small polyurethane wheels to replace the steel ones? The same material that's on roller blades, those seem to work the best for this type of application. Or any other ideas for that matter.

Thanks,
Nic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Turned Around

guess it might help to post up the one i have. it's from Woodcraft.

Attachments

• 145095.jpg
    145095.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 214

Andrew_K99

It appears that they are using the bearing as the wheel. It might be hard to find a replacement that includes a bearing and has a large enough hole for the fastener.

Is the bearing type/size marked on the bearings? You might be able to use a nylon bearing.

AK

Andrew_K99

FYI by knowing bearing size you'll be able to reference the bearing OD and ID. The ID will allow you to find something that'll work with the fastener. The OD wouldn't be important with how they are used.

AK

Andrew_K99

i couldn't find anything indicating the size, no
It'll be a 3 letter/number code IIRC.

You might have to take it off to get a good look at it.

If they are not marked, measure the ID, OD and thickess (they'll be in metric). You should be able to cross reference the size and find a matching nylon bearing to use.

Last edited:
Top Bottom