Spindle indexing lock uses

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

So I know that a spindle indexing lock is great for helping to remove chucks.

I've seen one youtube video where a guy uses the feature with a drilling rig which is cool.

What other uses are there for this feature? I assume ornamental work? Just curious, sure this will end up with me wanting more tools/toys. :biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

triw51

Actually, the indexing provision is not intended to be used as a spindle lock, and using it in that fashion on some lathes can damage the internal indexing cam.

If it is not to lock the spindle how do you loosen the chuck or faceplate? I am not being facetious I would like to know how else you would hold the spindle.

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

I think we are talking about two different things. My lathe has an indexing plate inside the hatch with a screw back by the handwheel. It also has a spindle lock right up in the front behind the exposed threaded section. The indexing plate is not intended for pressure while the spindle lock is good for removing chucks etc IMO. This is a jet 1221

southernclay

Good point Dan, I'll clarify (hopefully)

So it's a Nova 3000 DVR

It has an index pin to lock the spindle but has 24 possible positions.

My question is more what functionality the indexing offers?

Ed McDonnell

Warren it allows even spacing of non-turned embellishments around the circumference of the turning. Things like flutes or flats (see the hex pen in the IAP collection) or whatever. Used creatively it can create some very complex designs. See the work done by David Nittman or J. Paul Fennel

Ed

southernclay

Warren it allows even spacing of non-turned embellishments around the circumference of the turning. Things like flutes or flats (see the hex pen in the IAP collection) or whatever. Used creatively it can create some very complex designs. See the work done by David Nittman or J. Paul Fennel

Ed

There's something to work toward! I've got their sites bookmarked to revisit, amazing stuff thanks.

BTW, the name change is taking me a little getting used to. Don't go changing names too often or I'll think your a rapper...might have to call you McDiddy and then just Diddy :biggrin:

monophoto

Actually, the indexing provision is not intended to be used as a spindle lock, and using it in that fashion on some lathes can damage the internal indexing cam.

If it is not to lock the spindle how do you loosen the chuck or faceplate? I am not being facetious I would like to know how else you would hold the spindle.

The ideal solution is to avoid getting anything on so tightly that getting it off is a problem, but that's not always possible. Which is a polite way of saying that many of us tend to have a 'heavy hand' when installing a chuck, and then have difficulty getting it off.

It helps to have a handwheel on the headstock spindle. Not all lathes come with handwheels, but making one is not too difficult. Using a chuck key as a lever while holding the handwheel is usually enough to break it loose.

Occasionally, however, if I tighten the chuck too much, I find that I will unscrew the handwheel when holding it to loosen the chuck. In those cases, I have to use a wrench to hold the spindle while using the chuck key to break it free. The spindle on my lathe has a short extension that is engraved to show the indexing position that I can easily grip with either a strap wrench or a channel-lock wrench.

Last edited:

D.Oliver

Ed

There's something to work toward! I've got their sites bookmarked to revisit, amazing stuff thanks.

BTW, the name change is taking me a little getting used to. Don't go changing names too often or I'll think your a rapper...might have to call you McDiddy and then just Diddy :biggrin:

:rotfl::rotfl:McDiddy!:rotfl::rotfl:

KBs Pensnmore

monophoto;173563 The ideal solution is to avoid getting anything on so tightly that getting it off is a problem said:
One way of getting around this problem before it happens, is to fit some paper washers (2 + made from printer paper is what I use) between the chuck and the shoulder.
Kryn

Last edited:

monophoto

monophoto;173563 The ideal solution is to avoid getting anything on so tightly that getting it off is a problem said:
One way of getting around this problem before it happens, is to fit some paper washers (2 + made from printer paper is what I use) between the chuck and the shoulder.
Kryn

Absolutely right.

And another option is to use a resilient plastic washer. You can buy washers that are made specifically for this application, and DIY options are also possible. However, it is important to check that the washer is absolutely uniform in thickness. The best way to do that is to install the chuck with a washer, and then check for runout. Minor variations in the thickness of a washer can introduce significant runout further out on the spindle.

Top Bottom