Spare mandrel source??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, now that I have my Beall collet chuck I need some spare mandrels. Many months ago someone posted a link to where you could buy them for I think about $3-4 each. These were just the steel mandrels - no morse taper or anything. They were not from the usual places like CSUSA, Berea or PSI but for the life of me I can't remember where they were available.
I officially retire in a couple of weeks so I guess the senior moments are starting early. Does anyone out there have a better memory better than me[?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

The cheapest ones I know of, George, are sold at Woodcraft......$2.99 each. But there are 2 problems. The headstock end has a non-standard thread and will only fit in Woodcraft arbors. Not a problem for you since you are using a collet system; but the threads may create another problem. Because of the threaded end, you may have to slip the mandrel a little deeper into the collet for a secure grip, effectively shortening the mandrel a bit. They may not then be long enough to accept the various bushings and "BOTH" upper and lower blanks???

Randy_

That guy at the humidor shop certainly does some creative pricing. Those mandrels are obviously just Berea mandrels and even if you buy them direct from Berea, they don't cost $12?? I don't like dealing with folks who artificially inflate list prices to make their discounts "LOOK" bigger. And the picture might mislead one to think he was buying a package of ten mandrels which is not the case.

Yeah....for the perceptive....I have some issues with this guy. He used to have at least one very deceptive ad on eBay. I complained to him with no response so I sent my concerns eBay and the ad was revised!!

TomServo

Aren't mandrels only like $7 each straight from berea? I know they have them made for use with collets - no thread. I have a "B" mandrel like that.. Considering that berea's shipping is only $3, BB or berea might be the way to go - but I know you're in winnipeg, George. I run up to winnipeg once a week, if you're not in a hurry I can order some from BB and run them up in a week or two and you can just pay me cash. It's an option.

Randy, I see what you mean about his inflated list prices - the "Flat Top American rose pen kit" reg $34 for $29.99!!! They're $13.50 from A.S.

Brian, Thank you very much - I'll keep your offer in mind.

After seeing the prices of mandrel shafts I wonder if I should maybe just buy some "D" size drill rod (.246") and make my own. I have access to a metal lathe so threading and the 60 deg centre is no problem. I'll have to check the supply places here on Monday.

Randy_

George;

I have no experience with drill rod; but from what I read it is probably a better material than most of our mandrels are made from. You will probably end up with a better mandrel if you make your own; but whether it is the best solution economically depends upon how you value your time.

If you do decide to buy some drill rod and make your own mandrels, you ought to consider getting a few other sizes of rod and making some pin chucks.....only if you are interested in making some closed end pens, of course.

Randy, good plan about the pin chucks [:)]. I bought the baron and gent/statesman ones from Fangar already so I'm OK with those (still haven't made a closed end pen - it's on the todo list). If I do buy the drill rod I'll probably get some for other sizes of tubes - especially if I have to mail order it and pay extra for shipping anyway. I'm not worried about a few hours of my time. Like they say - if you enjoy doing something it's not work [;)].

Ravenbsp

I have to admit that I am rather spoiled, as I have a metal lathe. I make all of my own mandrels and bushings which is a good thing considering how fast I misplace the darn things. But seriousl, if you need some help with something custom, let me know and I can probably make it for you ( I have tons of metal stock just collecting dust).

Bryan Poe
Houston, TX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom